Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 - Library Expansion Option license question

JoaoMatos
Level 6
Partner

Very strange or my ignorance.
I have a backup server Windows 2003 with Backup Exec 2010, latest patches. My backup library has two LTO tape drives. I did not buy any "Library Expansion option" license, but in "License Information" says it is installed and licensed. However, appear me messages that I have to license the second drive. I've read a document from Symantec that says it can happen and have knowledge of it. My question, do I need a "LEO" license or not?

Best regards,

JoaoMatos
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JoaoMatos
Level 6
Partner
I believe I have an explanation. My client has licensed the Backup Exec with a license for two servers. BE must have entered into licensing confusion as the two servers and two drives. anyway I've asked a LEO license.
Thank you all for your help.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Yes you need to install 1 LEO license ..

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Joao,

Might have loaded in a 60-day trial. The rule though for LEO lisencing is as follows:

1. First drive is covered by a license that ships with BE when you purchase it.
2. Every additional drive needs an LEO license. without it, your library won't work as it should.

You will have to buy the license, install it, and your second drive will be usable.

Laters!

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
By default you can use one Drive without any license  in your library ..Incase if you have more than One drive the number of lincese would depend on the number of extra drive you have .
Eg 2 drive you need 1 license
4 drive need 3 LEO license

JoaoMatos
Level 6
Partner

Hi all and tanks,
I am aware that I have to license the second drive, my doubts began when they I check in "Help About / license Information" that LEO was installed and licensed, but no information about 60 days trial.
Why it shows me that information.

Best regards,
JoaoMatos

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
No That is just the defualt LEO option which is installed on the media server which is for the single drive which you can use without any license .

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

And anyways the LEO option cannot be installed in evaluation .  Was you backup running fine before , I mean were you able to use both the drives ..

JoaoMatos
Level 6
Partner
Yes, I am able to use both drives,.Of course, warning  messages and event viewer errors,
I have another server with only one drive, and  no information about LEO.

I am not understanding.
 regards

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

It might be there was license isntalled before and is uninstalled now . Because as I said the LEO license cannot be installed in Evaualtion .
If you were able to use both the drive simultaneously then there would be a LEO license installed .

JoaoMatos
Level 6
Partner
I believe I have an explanation. My client has licensed the Backup Exec with a license for two servers. BE must have entered into licensing confusion as the two servers and two drives. anyway I've asked a LEO license.
Thank you all for your help.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
i m not sure why m I marked down ?

tienthinhle
Level 2

Hi all,

Could this license work with Symantec Quickstart Backup Exec? 

Thanks all

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Joao: Can you close off this topic with the solution if you were helped please?

@ tienthinhle: you need to open up a new forum query...