cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 Media Set

Gcm11
Level 3

Hi ppl,

Recently my operator noticed that the media set seems to change whenever he change tapes on a weekly basis.

I have assigned the tapes using the associate with Media set, just wondering can the issue above happen?

What settings do I need to set inorder for the tapes to retain the association? Eg. Tape1-10 is always recycled and used for daily, 11-15, weekly.

Tks,

CM

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...if the tape becomes scratch, it will be assigned to whatever media set requires it for that specific backup.

If you had an autoloader/library though, partitions would make sure you used specific tapes for specific media sets, as long as you targeted your jobs to those slots, and the person changing tapes put them in the correct slot.

Gcm11
Level 3

mmm, i was told after inventory, the media set assigned to some tapes have changed from daily to weekly. Is that possible? 

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Weird...but in IT, anything is possible.

I'd suggest starting with your troubleshooting by updating your media server with available patches, and then do a push-install to any remote servers.

Once done, open up BEutility.exe and run a DB repair.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I suggest you carefully read the "Managing Media" chapter in the admin guide - it contains a table in the section called "How Backup Exec searches for overwritable media" of when media will be overwritten. If you look at all the configuration options and the order at which a media is selected for overwrite then you will see that every set of options contains the choice "Recyclable media in any media set"

As such if any job can't meet one of the presvious choices for a given configuration then it will always try to move a tape from another media set (assuming an overwritable media exists in another set), thus moving the tape from Daily to Weekly or vice-versa

To solve this you either need to be very specific about your media set usage so that one of the earlier orders in the table will always be met first - or you need to partition your library so that a job can only use a media in a specific slot or range of slots and then aim your weekly backup at a different partition from your daily backup. This option does however increase the chance that you will get no backup at all due to not locating any overwritable media in the specified partition.