cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 - Not recognising new LTO3 tapes

Routledge1982
Level 4

I have just replaced an HP LTO2 tape drive with an HP LTO3 tape drive on my server

I have inserted a brand new LTO3 tape into the drive

I have ran inventory

I have long erased the tape

I have labelled the tape

I have assigned it to a media set

On attempting to run a back up job, i get the message saying the media is written in an unrecogniseable format?

Any ideas what may be wrong and how i fix this?

many thanks

30 REPLIES 30

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...if I remember correctly, check the DRAC (the same as HP's Systems Management Homepage)...this will confirm you need to replace the drive.

Routledge1982
Level 4

thank you

is it just a case of swapping in a brand new drive?

CraigV

If it is hot-swappable, then yes. You can confirm all this information on the Dell website. Once you have done so in accordance with their recommendations, try your original procedure again, and post back with an update.

Routledge1982
Level 4

thank you

what i dont understand is, why do the LTO2 and LTO3 tape drives work despite a faulty drive, yet the LTO4 does not?

CraigV

...sounds like it is more of a hardware issue than a BE issue. Maybe open a support case with Dell around this. If you get helped, post back and close off the forum query by marking the solution.

Routledge1982
Level 4

hi,

we have swapped out the fault drive.

I am now retrying the LTO3 drive with LTO3 tape, but the job rate is only going at 171.00 mb/min. It then stops and says ERROR CODE E00084F4 a device attached to the system is not functioning

why is this so slow and what could cause the problem? when my LTO2 tape drive and LTO2 tapes backup the same data at 1900 mb/min

CraigV

I've hit the escalation button here, but would suggest you continue with Dell support around this and make sure you have no other hardware issues, and also open a support call with Symantec if you have support with them.

Once, and IF, it is sorted out, then post back here and close it off...

Routledge1982
Level 4

i continue to get this error

have noticed this error in my system logs? would this relate to it?

Event Type: Error
Event Source: mraid35x
Event Category: None
Event ID: 9
The device, \Device\Scsi\mraid35x1, did not respond within the timeout period.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

CraigV

...that could be possible hardware failure (SCSI card, slot, SCSI cable, or HDD)...

Routledge1982
Level 4

could it be the case that my server simply cant handle LTO4?

CraigV

...it could possibly be, yes. That and lack of support for that type of drive on the SCSI device.