Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 - Notification when low space on tapes

Marco_Tafur
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi,

Are there any kind of notifications when an attached autoloader managed by BE 2010 is low on space?

I think BE 2012 does, but I don't know if 2010.

Thanks,

Marco

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Best practies for most organizatiosn would be a regular schedule to extract tapes to store offsite, which then normally is linked with either adding new tapes or old overwritable tapes that have been returned from offsite. This would then met the suggestion from pkh and achieve a safe DR plan.

As such if your end customer is waiting for tapes to fill before thinking about removal from the libary then a fuindamental part of backup processes to cover for a disaster affecting the location itself is not being met

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Nope, no such alerts. The tape runs till it is full, and then BE will request another 1 if there isn't a tape available in the autoloader. I don't know if BE 2012 has changed this at all as it's still going to span a tape if it runs out of space.

Thanks!

Marco_Tafur
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I would love to have the same kind of alerts it gives me when the disk passes a threshold (low disk). Problem is, customer does not know when to change tapes (!). He wants a notification informing the tapes are full.

Thanks!

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...depending on when the backups run, someone may/may not be there to change tapes. 1 way around this is to set the alert that prompts you to insert a tape.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

For tapes, you should set up a regular schedule for the user to change the tapes, e.g. weekly.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Best practies for most organizatiosn would be a regular schedule to extract tapes to store offsite, which then normally is linked with either adding new tapes or old overwritable tapes that have been returned from offsite. This would then met the suggestion from pkh and achieve a safe DR plan.

As such if your end customer is waiting for tapes to fill before thinking about removal from the libary then a fuindamental part of backup processes to cover for a disaster affecting the location itself is not being met