cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 R2 : Client-side deduplication is enabled for this job, but it could not be used.

BoB_Marley1
Level 3

Hello All,

I have done the setup already of a Backup Exec Media Server, running windows 2008 R2 64 bit.

Installed the deduplication option, created the dedup storage folder.

I have a client running win2003 on a fast lan connection, latency 10ms, no problem, client side deduplication works.

I have a distant client running win2003, network latency 100ms, and the configuration in devices causes problems already.

When I use "Configure Remote Client for Deduplication", the client shows but it does not fetch the IP and OS Version and does not display the dedup storage folder under it.

I have done the servcies restart, on client and server side.

When running a job, here's the error message

Client-side deduplication is enabled for this job, but it could not be used.

The full data is being sent over the line, it is a T1 line 1.5 MBps, good service, no line breaks, latency of 100ms.

The full data sent has no problem with this latency.

What I also noticed after searching this forum, is that when the Remote Agent was installed, it did not get published in the favourites of the Media Server, which it should be as standard, probably also due to something on the network (latency, port ?)

I have had to add manually the entry under favourite to make itpossible to create the backup selection list.

I already cross check the naming, under Favourites and under devices, the hostname is spelled corectly, with full FQDN

The job is only doing one client, not multiple selection.

So I really do not know what is wrongly configured in here.

If anyone have any suggestions...

Feel free

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

BoB_Marley1
Level 3

Thank you for your several proposals.

We have used SGMON to gather debug log and try to understand the content.

We have found the solution in the meantime.

Altough we use FQDN for servers/client, there is still a problem somewhere.

We do backup of machines, all in the same FOREST, in different domain member of the same FOREST all trusted, but some local machines do not have a complete DNS Suffix Search List with all other domains and this is the cause of our problem.

When the client want to connect to the Media Server, somewhere in the process, the SHORT NAME is used and implicit domain suffix is added to create the FQDN.

That is from within Backup Exec / Pured Disk issue.

We have populated the DNS Suffix Search List on the remote clients where it was not complete.

I confirm also that port 6101 and 10000 are the mostly used ones and clearly visible in the SGMON trace logging.

Thank you

Bob

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

On the Remoet Client use VXMON.EXE to configure the publishing to the media server

Make sure the media server is added by name and IP address.

and Make sure the remote client has a path across the network to the media server with Port 6101 open for the advertising/publishing to work

That should  let the server appear in My Favorites on teh media server

Once you see it in My favorites, then restart the services on the media server to see if it helps with your DeDup job.

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

In order to get client side dedup working, first thing you need to do is, add the server to devices tab. Under devices tab in Backup Exec UI, you need to select add Remote Agent for Direct access, and add the target client there. You should be able to perform client side deduplication, once the server is seen under devices tab and the device under the server.

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.

Thanks

BoB_Marley1
Level 3

Thank you for your several proposals.

We have used SGMON to gather debug log and try to understand the content.

We have found the solution in the meantime.

Altough we use FQDN for servers/client, there is still a problem somewhere.

We do backup of machines, all in the same FOREST, in different domain member of the same FOREST all trusted, but some local machines do not have a complete DNS Suffix Search List with all other domains and this is the cause of our problem.

When the client want to connect to the Media Server, somewhere in the process, the SHORT NAME is used and implicit domain suffix is added to create the FQDN.

That is from within Backup Exec / Pured Disk issue.

We have populated the DNS Suffix Search List on the remote clients where it was not complete.

I confirm also that port 6101 and 10000 are the mostly used ones and clearly visible in the SGMON trace logging.

Thank you

Bob

pfx82
Level 4

bob - in your scenario, were HOSTS file entries attempted?