cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 R2 Problem Backup HyperV Machine

gencantieri
Level 3

Hi all,

i have a problem to backup hyper v machine with backup exec 2010 r2. i dont any support open with symantec so i have to backup with this version.

The problem is that sometimes the job backup (even if is completed succesfully) create multiple bkf file on my shared folder.

Why?

This problem occour not always.

The verify of the job is actually disbled, but if is enabled the job completed succeded the same.

Any suggests?

9 REPLIES 9

pkh
   VIP    Certified
I would suggest that you upgrade to BE 2010 R3 which is the latest version. Your existing licence keys will work. You can download BE 2010 R3 from either the fileconnect site or http://trialware.norton.com/files/fc/Backup_Exec_2010_13.0.5204_MultiPlatforms_Multilingual_DVD.iso After your upgrade, do not forget to run LiveUpdate a couple of time to update it to SP4 and the latest hotfixes. After you have upgraded to R3 SP4, push out the remote agent again.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

Sounds like you may need to increase the size of the BKF files that Backup Exec creates.  This can be configured by going to the properties of the backup to disk folder and adjusting the "Maximum size for backup-to-disk files".  If the backup is larger than the current maximum size then it will create multiple files for a backup.

gencantieri
Level 3

Thank you for all answer

i upgraded the machine to 2010 r3.

the option "Maximum size for backup-to-disk files" is set correctly. i set the size very very high.

But.. the question is: there are some problems with the restore if the job split into 2 bkf files or not?

someone can explain to me what is the correct procedure for restore an hyper vmachine? tomorrow I will backup a machine (better if the job split in 2 or more files) then i wanna try to restore it.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

There should not be any problems with restoring from a  job that is split between bkf files.  It is very common to have multiple bkf files for one backup.

To restore the virtual machine you should just select the host you backed up the virtual machine then click restore and the wizard will guide you through the rest of the process.

gencantieri
Level 3

thank for all answer.

whats il the best options to set into proprieties of backup to disk files?

the machines are 200 to max 700 gb vhd. backup running across the network (gigabit). machines running several different services (exchnage sql) and all have 2 or more vhd disks.

Maximum size for backup-to-disk files? (now is 100 gb more then the real size of vhd. example  1 vhd 100gb + 1 vhd 600 gb i set 800gb)

Allocate the maximum size for backup-to-disk files? (now is disabled)

Maximum number of backup sets per backup-to-disk file? (now is set to 1)

i must to have only one bkf for one machine (this a secondary backup so history doesnt needed becouse data are also backupped on different tape every day).

Thanks to all

gencantieri
Level 3

another thing

in backup exec, under media - backup to disk i see the list of media set created.

i see some media lebel set to "not appendable" media full. why? 

is that the reason becouse backup exec sometime split to multiple bkf file?

under backup to disk proprieties i set overwrite protection period to 1 hour and append period 1 hours

on the proprietis of the job i set overwrite in the option when the job begins.

regards

pkh
   VIP    Certified

i must to have only one bkf for one machine

Why? It does not matter whether the backup uses multiple .bkf files.  BE will manage all these files for you.  When you set the max size too big, it will take more time to do the file allocation.

Maximum number of backup sets per backup-to-disk file?  (now is set to 1)

You should leave it at the default 100.  A backup set is a resource like a drive volume, the system state, SQL database, Exchange database, etc.  If you backup a physical machine's C: drive, D: drive and system state, this counts as 3 backup sets.  By setting the max backup set to 1, this means that you would use 3 .bkf files, instead of 1.  That said, for BE 2012 and above, the default max backup set is 1 and you cannot change this.

When either the max file size or max backup set is reached or the AP has expired, then this will happen.  For disk media, you should not append them.  There is no advantage to this and for BE 2012 and above, you cannot append to disk media.

under backup to disk proprieties i set overwrite protection period to 1 hour and append period 1 hours

You should set the OPP to a longer period.  Otherwise, the .bkf files might be overwritten by the same job if it runs more than 1 hour.

gencantieri
Level 3

Maximum number of backup sets per backup-to-disk file?  (now is set to 1)

ok set to 100

When either the max file size or max backup set is reached or the AP has expired, then this will happen.  For disk media, you should not append them.  There is no advantage to this and for BE 2012 and above, you cannot append to disk media.

size is not the problem becouse is setting 100gb larger then vhd files. so, whats tha ap? 

can u expain this parts pls?

You should set the OPP to a longer period.  Otherwise, the .bkf files might be overwritten by the same job if it runs more than 1 hour.

What's opp period? job is now scheduled to run every 2 days (the duratrion of the jox is max 12 hours) so bkf cant be overwritten.

Thank you

pkh
   VIP    Certified

AP = Append Period

OPP = Overwrite Protection Period

If you are not sure of the acronyms used in this forum, check the glossary below

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/glossary-make-sense-alphabet-soup

If OPP = 1 hr,  this means that 1 hour after the completion of the job, the .bkf file can be overwritten whether by this job or any other job which uses the same media set.