cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 R2 SP1 and Exchange 2010 RTM

MalcO
Level 3

Hi, I am unable to get regular successful backups of this. Exchange 2010 is configured in a DAG spanning 2 sites. Sometimes the backup completes OK about 1 in 10 days, the other days the following are logged in the event viewer on the passive exchange server:-

Application error 1000

Faulting application name: MONAD.EXE, version: 13.0.4164.0, time stamp: 0x4c2a6eb4
Faulting module name: MONAD.EXE, version: 13.0.4164.0, time stamp: 0x4c2a6eb4
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000000a7d5
Faulting process id: 0x%9
Faulting application start time: 0x%10
Faulting application path: %11
Faulting module path: %12
Report Id: %13

then about 5 minutes later

Application error 1000

Faulting application name: beremote.exe, version: 13.0.4164.109, time stamp: 0x4cffac43
Faulting module name: bedsmbox.dll, version: 13.0.4164.108, time stamp: 0x4cfebc0f
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000581e1
Faulting process id: 0x21ac
Faulting application start time: 0x01cbbe2750d7f290
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\RAWS\beremote.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\RAWS\bedsmbox.dll
Report Id: 7c22882b-2a1b-11e0-8ade-002481e564da

Any ideas will be most welcome as I've just about run out.

many thanks

19 REPLIES 19

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

Is this BE 2010 or BE 2010 r2 sp1 & also when you get those log does your backup fails or how does it impact you

Thank You

MalcO
Level 3

BE 2010 R2 SP1, the backup job stops when the 2nd error (beremote.exe) is generated.

As you can see from the following image it varies as to how far through the job it gets before the beremote.exe crashes.

MalcO
Level 3

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

I presume as you have said you are on BE 2010 r2 your remote agent on exchange server are too on same level on all node like mailbox node & CAS node & they must be on version .109

If yes it is then please call the support on 18006344747 so they can collect the logs & crash dump log to ensure were is the issue

Thank You

MalcO
Level 3

All the remote agents are version 13.0.4164.109. Will phone them tomorrow is the support desk manned 24 hours as I'm in the UK

thanks.

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

Either you have an option to call them or to avoid hold time you can log a case today with severity 2 crtitical using web portal so that one of the person from support can call you

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=cdlogin

Thank You

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi MalcO,

Have you updated BE with the available patches, and then pushed the updates out to remote servers?

Has this been a constant issue, or is it a new issue?

If new, were any changes made?

Furthermore, give these TN's below a read, and see if they help you at all...

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO24102

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO13285

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO24097

Laters! 

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Why are you using Exchange 2010 RTM?  Shouldn't you be using a proper release?

MalcO
Level 3

CraigV, BE fully updated and updates pushed to all remote servers, it has always been an issue. The first week it worked perfectly then the backups began failing more often than not.

pkh, will be upgrading Exchange to SP1 but need to schedule this as other projects are currently taking precedence.

Last night the backup was successful!!!

alefesta
Level 3

•For Exchange 2010 DAGs that have three or more copies of the database, the consistency check can be disabled.

The following best practices are for using the Backup Exec continuous protection feature as part of your backup strategy:
•Back up only one Exchange server for each continuous backup job.

•Create a separate selection list for each Exchange server resource.

•To copy backup sets to tape for off-site storage, create a job to duplicate backup data. You can schedule the job to copy the backup data to tape before or after each occurrence of the full backup job. The duplicate backup data job copies all of the transaction logs and the full backup sets to tape. 

•If you duplicate Information Store backup data to tape and then back to disk, specify the same volume for the full and the incremental backups. The backup data must be on the same volume if you want to restore individual items from the incremental backup.

•Create a custom filter to limit the number of recovery points that appear in the Job History view.

•After you create and run a CPS Exchange backup job, do not change which backup-to-disk folder that it was run to. If you must specify a different backup-to-disk folder, create a new CPS Exchange backup job with a new backup-to-disk folder as the destination device. Delete the previous job

From the symantec article "http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO21796"

How your jobs are made..i mean they try to backup both the DAG nodes?

MalcO
Level 3

We don't use CPS, our DAG only has 2 copies of the database and we are only trying to backup 1 copy of the DAG (the passive one, when it is successful it truncates the logs on both copies of the database).

alefesta
Level 3

Check this article "http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH136312" it is related to a spefic error but if you look at the "solution" proposed in it you will find some help regarding how to backup  Exchange DAG.

Can you post the configuration of your job and log of the failed one?

ollyparkhouse
Level 3

I have been getting this error recently as well. Backup up the server for 2 weeks was fine, then all of a sudden we get the  error:

Faulting application name: MONAD.EXE, version: 13.0.4164.0, time stamp: 0x4c2a6eb4

Faulting module name: MONAD.EXE, version: 13.0.4164.0, time stamp: 0x4c2a6eb4

Followed by the

Faulting application name: beremote.exe, version: 13.0.4164.109, time stamp: 0x4cffac43

This happens on exchange 2010 sp1, using backup exec 2010 r2.

We dont use DAG yet. IT will back up 3 of the 4 datastores but crash on the last one.

MalcO
Level 3

Don't want to hear this, as I am upgrading exchange to SP1 this week and was hoping that this will resolve the issue. Will keep you informed.

sbora
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

There is a hotfix planned for this issue however if you need a pre release version of the fix then please call Symantec phone support. Make sure that you upload vxgather cab file with service crash dump from exchange node while opening the case.

MalcO
Level 3

Will wait for the released hotfix thanks and carry on using Windows Server Backup for now, will still upgrade to SP1 though.

sbora
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Disable GRT option in the backup and check if that works. If the non GRT backup works then you can use that as a workaround for the time being.

W_P
Level 2

I've had this problem for almost a month now and yeah it works fine with GRT disabled (reboot the server if you've recently crashed monad.exe) but that's not ideal.  I did find a new technote that they posted just this week referring to a new hotfix so I'm hoping that's made into a general release soon.  http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH152847&key=15047&actp=LIST

MalcO
Level 3

Disabling GRT is not an ideal solution, as mentioned above I will continue to use Windows Server Backup for now and use backup exec to copy those files to tape.

PS As expected the upgrade to Exchange SP1 made no difference.