cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 R2 - Tape ejects on catalog / restore / backup

DrewJenner
Level 3

Hi,

Were currently have Backup Exec 2010 R2 running at two sites. A production site and a DR site. Tapes are backed up at the production site and encrypted on a LTO4 auto loader (hardware 256Bit AES). When trying to catalog or restore data at the DR site using a stand alone LTO4 drive Backup Exec is just ejecting the media.

I suspect this is due to encryption.

I have setup the encryption key on the DR install of Backup Exec but suspect it is not working.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be going on?

Cheers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

DrewJenner
Level 3

It ended up being an incompatible SCSI HBA card that was causing the tape to eject on catelog / backup / restore.

I was using the onboard SCSI interface on our Acer Altos 710 server. Which apparently is not compatible. It could see the drive and inventory the media but failed on anything else.

Installed a new HP single channel Ultra320 SCSI HBA and now everything is performing as expected.

Thanks for all your help.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If the tapes are hardware encrypted, check that the tape drive at your DR site is capable of hardware encryption and it is enabled.  Right-click on it in the Devices tab and display the properties.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Is there any alert prompting that please recreate the encryption key or BE cannot locate an encryption key?

If yes, you have to recreate the encryption key, if you know the pass phrase.

Regards...

DrewJenner
Level 3

Thanks guys. I think phk may have identified the problem. Being a HP LTO drive I will run the HP StorageWorks Library and Tape Tools to check if encryption is enabled.

Will update the thread once I have checked. 

DrewJenner
Level 3

The LTO4 drive is a HP Ultrium 1760 and does support hardware encryption. However the issues are still ocurring. The correct encryption key has been entered into the DR Backup Exec 2010 instance Tools > Encryption Keys.

When I run the catalog job Backup Exec ejects the media then requests I insert media. When I start the catelog job it requests a password which I take is the 256Bit AES hardware encryption key.

The error codes that are generated are:

Event ID 58063: "Backup Exec Alert: Media Remove" is reported during or after a job completes

Followed by:

Event ID 58059: "Media is unrecognized. The media in drive '%drive%' is written in an unrecognized format. Erase the media to make it usable" is reported in the Event Viewer Application Log.

Has it something do do with the backups being carried out on an autoloader HP SAS 1760 then trying to restore on a single drive HP Ultrium 1760 SCSI?

According to the HP tape drive documentation the hardware encryption is all handled at the software (Backup Exec) level.

Stumped...

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When the tape is originally created, is hardware or software encryption used?  If it is hardware encryption, then you need a hardware-encryption-capable hardware to decrypt the tape.  BE will not be able to decrypt it.  If software encryption is used when the tape is created, then BE will be able to decrypt it.

DrewJenner
Level 3

Hi pkh,

The original backup uses hardware encryption the device at the DR site where I am running the catelog is hardware encryption capable yet it is still unable to catelog the tape.

The encryption key is common not restricted so isn't bound to a particular account but I have made sure the encryption key accounts are the same at both sites.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

In your previous post, you stated that the tape drive at your DR site is not capable of hardware encryption.  So which is which?

DrewJenner
Level 3

The backup drives at both sites support hardware encryption.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

After you put in the tape, did you inventory the tape?  Also, is the tape part of a set of tapes?  If so, you need to catalog the tapes in the sequence that they are used.

DrewJenner
Level 3

I put the tape in and run an inventory which completes without error. The backup jobs do not span multiple tapes all the backup jobs fit onto a single tape.

We have setup jobs Monday - Friday and have allocated a slot in the HP autoloader which just picks the tape up for the overnight backup and returns it on completion.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

At your DR site, did you inventory the tape before trying to catalog it?

DrewJenner
Level 3

Yes I ran an inventory prior to the catalog. The invetory sees the tape.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Does this problem happen when you use software encrypted tapes?

DrewJenner
Level 3

I tested using a unencrypted backup today (neither software nor hardware) and the same thing happened.

It is looking like it is not encryption related. I might just re-install Backup Exec?

DrewJenner
Level 3

It ended up being an incompatible SCSI HBA card that was causing the tape to eject on catelog / backup / restore.

I was using the onboard SCSI interface on our Acer Altos 710 server. Which apparently is not compatible. It could see the drive and inventory the media but failed on anything else.

Installed a new HP single channel Ultra320 SCSI HBA and now everything is performing as expected.

Thanks for all your help.