cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 R2 and Exchange 2010 SP2- Is GRT possible ?

hubbardt
Level 2

Hi,

We have just migrated to Exchange 2010 and are trying to back up our Exchange Databases (in a DAG)
The Exchange Agent is installed and licenced on the Backup Exec server

We have a ExchangeToDisc backup job that does not have the AOFO enabled. When I try to restore a job I can drill down to individual messages in the backup job but when I restore the following error occurs:

Error category    : Resource ErrorsError             : e0000f04 - The media server could not connect to the remote computer. The remote computer may not be running the Backup Exec
Remote Agent for Windows/Linux. Make sure that the correct version of the Remote Agent is installed and running on the target computer.
For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-3844

A colleague of mine said he spoke to Symantec support and they said the database has to be offline for the restore to work.

Taking the database offline allowed the restore job to complete successfully but is that really necessary? Is there no way to do an online restore ?

Thanks for reading and any help gratefully received

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Have you considered the upgrade to BE 2010 R3? You're able to use your current license keys.

It would take you downloading the ISO from the link below and upgrading your current media server (grab copies of the Data/Catalogs folders before doing anything!). Once done, run LiveUpdate to get SP2 installed and then run it again to install any additional patches before push-installing this upgrade to your remote servers.

Then try it again...

http://trialware.norton.com/files/fc/Backup_Exec_2010_13.0.5204_MultiPlatforms_Multilingual_DVD.iso

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV

Hi,

Sorry, but your work colleague is wrong. Why create an agent capable of doing a GRT backup/restore while the Information Store is live, but then have to take the Information Store offline to do a restore anyway.

It is entirely possible! Exchange 2010 SP2 is also supported on BE 2010 R2 so no hassles there.

Check the TN below though and see if this helps:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH160013

Thanks!

hubbardt
Level 2

Hi

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately we tried that fix already and still getting the same error.

At least no I know that doing a restore with the database is online is supported and should work  :\

Regards

CraigV

Have you considered the upgrade to BE 2010 R3? You're able to use your current license keys.

It would take you downloading the ISO from the link below and upgrading your current media server (grab copies of the Data/Catalogs folders before doing anything!). Once done, run LiveUpdate to get SP2 installed and then run it again to install any additional patches before push-installing this upgrade to your remote servers.

Then try it again...

http://trialware.norton.com/files/fc/Backup_Exec_2010_13.0.5204_MultiPlatforms_Multilingual_DVD.iso

hubbardt
Level 2

Will try 2010 R3 and then try again. Thanks