cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 R2 backup device is not overwriting previous jobs--Help

agvance
Level 2

Hello all,

I currently have 4 backup devices that I switch out every week.  I have been having to go in and delete all backup data from the past backup job on each device before being able to allow backups to run on it again.  I am currently running 15 backup jobs each week that usually have a size of ~3-3.5 TB.  

I am looking for proper settings that will allow these backups to occur without having to go in and manually delete the old data from the backup devices.  My ultimate goal is to purchase a backup device big enough to handle 4 weeks' worth of backups and then start overwriting from the beginning instead of having to switch out between 4 devices every week.

Is there a setting that I am missing in terms of allowing the B2D to overwrite?  Thanks in advance for the help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Have you configured your backups to overwrite? What is the overwrite protection period specified?

When backup jobs are targeted to a B2D then its always recommended to configure jobs to 

overwrite instead of appending. Make sure you have below settings inplace.

In BE console, click on Tools -> Options -> Media Management

• Overwrite Protection level is set as "Partial"
  • Select "Use recycable media before using scratch media set"

Also give a thought of upgrading to BE2010 R3 as R2 license will work with R3 too.

Refer to Best Practices of BE2010 Media Management

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO21797

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Have you configured your backups to overwrite? What is the overwrite protection period specified?

When backup jobs are targeted to a B2D then its always recommended to configure jobs to 

overwrite instead of appending. Make sure you have below settings inplace.

In BE console, click on Tools -> Options -> Media Management

• Overwrite Protection level is set as "Partial"
  • Select "Use recycable media before using scratch media set"

Also give a thought of upgrading to BE2010 R3 as R2 license will work with R3 too.

Refer to Best Practices of BE2010 Media Management

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO21797

pkh
   VIP    Certified

In addition to the previous advice, in order to overwrite the media, you would need to set the OPP of the media set that the media belongs to, in such a way that the media is overwritable BEFORE the start of the job.  See this document

OPP and AP explanation