cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec (2010 R2) for Small Business Server

J_A_3
Level 3

Hello,

I have been trying to install this BE (2010 R2) for SBS on a new SBS 2008 Premium server and really having a problem. When I tried running the pre-installation environment check it just took too long that I had to stop it and run the installation since it does the environment check during the installation process anyway. During the installation it gets to the environment check and goes three-quarters of the way where it displays "Backup Exec License Keys" and sits there forever. I've been trying to do this since 10pm last night to the point where I had to leave at that state at about 1am to see if it goes past there this morning. I am yet to get onsite to know its progress so far but any help on this issue will be appreciated.

Thank you.

23 REPLIES 23

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Check the event viewer if there any error generated in the application log.

Also check the size of the BE2010 R2 installables, it should be 3.21GB.

Make sure the installables are on the local drive.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi there,

...and stop your AV during the installation. I have had McAfee cause major issues during installations/upgrades.

Thanks!

J_A_3
Level 3

Thanx for the response AmolZeroCool, okay I will check all that once I get onsite since this server is not live yet otherwise I would check it remotely. What do you mean "make sure the installables are on the local drive"? I downloaded the ISO and bunt it onto a DVD, which is where I am trying to install from. Is there another way I should be doing this or do you mean I need to copy the entire install files/folders from the DVD onto a local drive/partition on the server?

Thanx.

AmolB

If its on the DVD then there is no issue, admins tend to save the installables on the network drive.

Installation will not proceed if the installables are on the network drive it has to be either on the

DVD or on the local (C or D ) drive.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...I have successfully installed via a network path! Didn't have an issue doing this except for slow speeds during the installation on the local LAN!

J_A_3
Level 3

There is no AV installed on this server yet. One thing I noticed is that when it sits at the point I described earlier there does not seem to be any activity on the DVD drive, I noticed because the drive stops spinning and the light on the drive stops flashing.

AmolB

As part of troubleshooting copy the contents from the DVD on the local drive and

run the browser.exe file.

J_A_3
Level 3

Once I get onsite and if it is still stuck, I actually plan to copy the DVD content onto a local drive and see what happens. I should be onsite in the next 30 minutes.

J_A_3
Level 3

When I got onsite, it had completed the environment check stage and was waiting for me to click next. I wonder why it would take so long that within the three hours I was onsite last night it would not complete. I continued from there and completed the installation, now it is rebooting. At least from this thread, others should know to just let the environment process sit since it can take a good while to complete just that process. Thanx AmolZeroCool & CraigV, phew this sure added more pressure to my already pressurized scheduled where the migration from SBS 2330 to SBS 2008 has to continue tonight and complete tomorrow and restoring data backed up from the SBS 2003 onto the SBS 2008 is what needs to get done last night but did not happen and needs to happen now. At least I can attempt to move on with restoring the data which was originally planned for overnight last night, hopefully there are no more hiccups because there is really not much time.

AmolB

Run live update and install SP1 and then update all the remote agents too.

J_A_3
Level 3

I can't actually connect the server to the network to run any update since it is a SwingMigration and will interfere with the current server AD, etc since they both have same name, settings, etc. There are no remote agents either, perhaps I should have one for the second server that SBS ships with, but over a VPN.

Do you know how BE performs over a VPN? What does SP1 offer? What are the other things one can do with a remote agent besides push install (I'm assuming back up as well)?

AmolB

Remote agent will allow you to take a backup of the remote server.

Below is the link to download SP1 also it has the release notes.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH143670

J_A_3
Level 3

Thanx, man. Now I am in BE trying to figure out how to restore the backup obtained from BE 12.0 on the current domain controller. I have inserted the tape into the drive, any idea on how to load this data so BE can see it on this new server and restore it?

AmolB

What kind of data you are restroing? You will have to recatalog the tapes if in case the old catalogs are not available.

Without catalogs restore window will not show the information which is stored in the tapes.

J_A_3
Level 3

Genius. I just inventoried the tape drive and catalogued the tape media and they all showed up. So now I need to restore to a custom location, not a default location since the drive letters differ now and I want to keep static data from the current server in a single folder. How do you suppose I can set the restore in a custom folder that I chose?

AmolB

In the restore window there is an option of redirect restore.

J_A_3
Level 3

As soon as I replied to your post I found it and it is currently running a restore of high priority data to the root of a partition while I need to also schedule another restore job right after the first one finishes. I assume I just schedule with default "medium" priority and it should kick in once the first restore job completes, correct?

AmolB

If you have multiple tape drives you can run the 2nd restore job too but if you have only 1 tape

drive then you will have to wait till the 1st job completes.

J_A_3
Level 3

I initiated the second job and it got submitted to the queue with a job status as "Ready; No idle devices are available". Just as I thought but wasn't sure it could copy/restore files to multiple locations as a USB device can even though it may be slower. So far so good, 75% of priority static data done in about 17 minutes. After hours tonight I have to initiate backup of other major file shares after disconnecting the current domain controller from any connections so changes are not being made to them. And the size of the data means an overnight backup job and can only look forward to restoring the tomorrow.