cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 R3 - Constantly Queued with backup to disk devices

mvalpreda
Level 3

Backup Exec 2010 R3 x64 on a Windows 2003 x64 server
5 different backup to disk locations on a USB drive (e:\Monday, e:\Tuesday, etc)
5 different jobs each set up to those locations (Monday, Tuesday, etc)

Put the USB drive in after the tape drive finally died. Wanted to have something off site so the drives are being swapped once a week. First week the backup was fine. Second week the backup didn't work, restarted the services and the jobs worked. This is the third week and the job stays queued forever. I have reset the services multiple times, scanned the different backup to disk locations, inventoried the backup to disk locations....nothing. It will stay in a queued state until I reset the services.

I have turned off all overwrite protection and all the B2D files have been moved to Scratch Media with the same results. Even went so far as to format the USB drive and let Backup Exec re-create the folders. Same result.

Server is not paused and all drives show online. I see the modified date change on the drive....but no data being written. I really wish this software after so many years would just show why the job is queued.

15 REPLIES 15

pkh
   VIP    Certified

How did you set up your B2D folders on your disk?  See my article on this subject.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-rotate-external-harddisks

mvalpreda
Level 3

Since I only swap the drives once a week, I have 5 folders defined. Monday job is targeted to the Monday folder, and so on.

I have everything set up nearly identical to that document. I just deleted the B2D folders and re-created them. Still goes to queued.

I did try the pause, unpause "trick" with the same results. Is there any way at all to see why it is being queued?

Inventory jobs run without an issue.

mvalpreda
Level 3

I ran a 100k job and it ran fine. I ran it again from the same job definition and it ran fine. It did sit in queue for a little while on the second run. First job was 12 seconds and the second job was 17 seconds. The device name stayed blank while in queue and when the device name finally showed up....the job ran.

I'm wondering if something is going on and eventually this job will kick off? It is about 300gb of data and when it was working, it took almost 5 hours.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I have everything set up nearly identical to that document

What are the differences? 

If it is a a big job that it would take time for BE to enumerate the resouce.  How long did your other jobs queue for?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Are you using one disk for 5 B2D folders?

Are you running 5 jobs simultaneously to 5 different folders or to 1 folder?  If it is the latter, in the B2D folder properties, how many concurrent jobs did you set it up for?

mvalpreda
Level 3

I gather from that document that the author is rotating the drives daily. I am not. I have 5 different B2D locations and I have 5 jobs targeted to 5 different locations. That is the only difference.

I don't know how long they queued for. I just know I came in yesterday and a job had been queued for 42 hours.

I have the normal daily job going right now. It's been queued for 10 minutes now. I don't see any CPU activity on any of the machines relating to Backup Exec.

mvalpreda
Level 3

I have 5 jobs: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. The jobs are targeted to their own directory on E: Monday to E:\Monday, Tuesday to E:\Tuesday, etc. Only 1 job runs at a time.

Watching the job....after 11 minutes the device name showed up....and it's still queued after almost 15 minutes. It shows the Wednesday B2D as "In use" under Devices. It also shows a B2D000207 media under Wednesday with an allocated date of 10 minuites after the job started.

This worked when I set it up originally. The first time the drives were swapped it needed the services reset. Now that I have swapped the original drive back in, it doesn't work at all.

I changed the concurent operations to 10.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I take it that you did not use a device pool for your 2 drives.  You should set the drives up as outlined in my article.

mvalpreda
Level 3

Ok....job just kicked off. I have done too much to this to know what fixed it. Formatting the drive, recreating the media set, rebooting....who knows.

I will watch to see what happens next week.

It queued for about 15 minutes. I was cancelling and resetting services after 10. ;)

mvalpreda
Level 3

I can understand the device pool if I only had 2 backup locations set up....but I have 5 online at a time and then another 5 when the drive is swapped.

Or should I be doing something with the overwrite protection so it moves to the next directory on that drive?

I just want some backup retention and only swap once a week.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The question is why do you need to have 5 B2D folders?  You can just use one folder.  If your jobs are backing up the same things then you can reduce your 5 jobs to just 1.

mvalpreda
Level 3

I want to have backup retention. I don't want to overwrite the backup. On each drive I would like a Monday, Tuesday, Wedneday, Thursday and Friday backup.

Unless I am missing something, I can't do that with one directory. I read that Backup Exec treats a B2D like a tape....so it would be like using the same tape over and over. That doesn't give me any retention.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Why not?  The B2D folder is just a container.  The overwrite protection is set in the media set.  As long as the media is in the correct media set, they would be protected, regardless of which B2D folder that they are in.  I have only 1 B2D folder for all my jobs, but many media sets for different retention periods.

mvalpreda
Level 3

Swapped the drives again and the Friday job was queued for 42 hours before I restarted the services. I then started a job and after 15 minutes it is doing nothing again. Device name is not showing up.

I am looking through your article and I have some questions:

1) How should I set up the Media Set?

2) Under Tools, Options, Media Management...what should the settings be there?

3) Do you have 1 backup job defined? If so how can I set up my job so there is some sort of retention?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) How should I set up the Media Set?

It depends on your data retention requirements, just set the appropriate OPP.

2) Under Tools, Options, Media Management...what should the settings be there?

3) Do you have 1 backup job defined? If so how can I set up my job so there is some sort of retention?

Just point your one job to the media set which you have set the correct OPP.