cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Backup Exec 2010 R3 ]How to Restore a mailbox to a different database In Exchange Server?

Fabricio_Domo
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hello,

I need to restore a mailbox from an old exchange backup, the problem is that the database where it used to be stored in exchange does not exist anymore. so I can not restore it to its original location. I can not set the actual database offline.

Is there an way of doing this?

Thank you in advance

13 REPLIES 13

Rahul_Kumar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You can restore it to any database even if the original database does not exist. You can create a test mailbox and use Microsoft Exchange Redirection option to restore to that particular test mailbox.

Thanks

Fabricio_Domo
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Thank you for the reply!

I am about to create the restore job using this article as guide:http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH74537

I will reply with the outcome.

Rahul_Kumar1
Level 6

Perfect article to explain redirect restore.

Thanks

Fabricio_Domo
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi,

I just ran the restore job but we failed to notice the hard drive of the Exchange Server was low on disk space. The good thing is that the hard drive is a virtual hard drive, so we will expand it and try again.

Rahul_Kumar1
Level 6

. I think you are trying to restore from a tape. When you restore from a tape the entire Exchange database is first staged to the local drive and then the restore happens. The default location for staging is C:\Temp

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you are restoring from tape, you might want to duplicate the backup set from tape to disk first.  This way you can direct the backup set to a disk with more disk space.  After the duplication, you can do your restore from the disk backup set and thus avoid the staging from tape.

Fabricio_Domo
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Thank you for the information!

When I redirect do C:\Temp, can I, instead, use a network share to use as a container for the database restore?

Do you have an article, or something similar, on duplicating a backup set from tape to a disk?

Thank you very much for your help!

Rahul_Kumar1
Level 6

You can not set a staging location to anetwork share. But you can duplicate the backup set to a network share.

. Create a Backup to disk folder at the location where you want to duplicate thejob

. Go to job setup- backups and then new job to duplicate backup set

. Select existing backup and then select the backup set you want to duplicate.

. In destination select the backup to disk folder which you created.

. Once the duplicate is completed then go to the devices tab

. Highlight Backup to Disk folder. Right click on IMG folder and then select restore.

Thanks

Fabricio_Domo
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Thank you very much for your reply!

can the destination be a network share in this duplicate job?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Yes.

Fabricio_Domo
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hello,

We tried to do the redirect restore, but the backup agent on the Exchange Server where we created the mailbox to receive the contents of the mailbox we want to restore crash when it starts the redirect recover job.

Any ideas of what may be causing the problem? I will collect the logs soon.

Fabricio_Domo
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Well, sunday we will migrate the Symantec Backup Exec 2010 that we are working at to the new version Symantec Backup Exec 2012. Will I be able to recover data from the backup sets made by the older version?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Yes. Definitely.