cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 R3, Hyper-V and iSCSI

wcaubrey
Level 4

I have two Hyper-V servers that have VMs on storage local to the server. Some of those VMs have an iSCSI connection from within the VM to a Dell MD3220i array for shared storage to form clusters. The VMs that are not attached backup just fine. However, the VMs that have an iSCSI connection fail to backup, and I get this:

V-79-40960-38467 - Virtual machine "vm1" has been excluded from the backup because it must be put in a saved state to back up.

Since these VMs are in a cluster, I can't allow them to be put in a saved state, because that completely messes up Failover Clustering in Windows (Server 2008 R2, btw).

I can backup these VMs as I would a physical server and that works fine, but in a disaster situation, it would be much easier just to be able to restore the VM by using the Hyper-V agent. How can I get these VMs to backup without putting them in a saved state?

2 REPLIES 2

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH64497 shows two possible solutions.. 

Solution A
Uncheck the option for Exclude virtual machines that must be put in a saved state to back up and re-try the backup.
Backup Exec will temporarily put the running virtual machines in saved state and backup it up. This operation happens very quickly without causing any issues on the virtual machines.
Note: The virtual machine does not remain in the saved state for the entire backup job.

Solution B
Turn off the Virtual machine and then perform the backup.

Unfortunately you cannot use any of the above available options? Right?

wcaubrey
Level 4

No, neither of those are an option.