cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 R3 Job Rate running Extremely Slow

James_Ooi
Level 3

Hi,

I've recently upgraded my Backup Exec 2010 R2 --> R3, there agents was also being upgraded via the management console as part of the process.

However, after the upgrade, I realized that my throughout for job rate is only between 18 Mbps/min - 20 Mbps/min, compared before the upgrade which it can reach at least 100+ mbps/min.

The backup policies and configurations remained the same and I'm backing up using a Disk-to-Disk mechanism, through a gigabit network.

I'm running on Windows Server 2008 R2 with SP1 - 64bit, I've also confirmed that there're no other applications running during the backup period (backup starts during midnight till dawn). Right now, even backing up a 100GB worth of Exchange Mailbox takes me more then 2 days where the previous version is takes only about 1 Hour 45 min or less.

I've searched through some of the articles within the forum but still no luck.

Appreciate any feedback regarding this matter.

Thanks!

25 REPLIES 25

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Can you check the drivers for the tape unit you are using ?
Normally you should use the Symantec Device Drivers. Did you also run LiveUpdate to make sure all latested drivers & patches are installed ?

What kind of backup device do you have ?

James_Ooi
Level 3

Hi, I'm running a Disk-to-Disk backup to a common server that has no shared services to the user, the Master Server is where I backup all of my contents into 1 of the volume within the server on its on.

The backup doesn't going into/through any form of tape drives at the moment. Yes, all components has been updated via LiveUpdate.

Hope this helps.

Thank you!

rrsymantec
Level 3

Hi James Ooi,

I am also having the same problem......... I have upgraded from 12.5 to R3 and the jobs have crippled! I have ensured that all the tape drives are symantec drivers etc.

Nothing has changed..... I have a backup job that needs to backup 2.6TB and in 66 hours it only done 620GB!! running job rate at 166mb/min!

Thats mental! no way will this finish and as a result most of my jobs have been missed! Can someone who has experienced the same problem please post back!

It must me a known prob!

Thanks,

introlux

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Did you check my post above  ?

Also mention you backup device.

James_Ooi
Level 3

Hi ZeroCool, not sure whether you're referring to myself or rrsymantec but just to let you know - there're no backup device, just directly into the disk, a local hard disk configured as RAID-1, a different RAID volume to the operating system :)

Thanks.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

As you can see I did not reply to your message, but to the message of rrsymantec.

Did you check defragmentation on you disk(s) ?
And disabled antivirus scanning on the B2D device ?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...you should be running a hect of a lot faster than 100MB/m to a 1GB B2D device...

Check and make sure your NICs are hard-coded to 1GB on your server, that the switch ports are also hard-coded, and if possible, your NAS device too...I assume it is a NAS, or is it a locally attached device like a USB drive?

James_Ooi
Level 3

Is a brand new unit, had tried to run a basic Copy and Paste excercise and based on the results, everything looks fine; but when using Backup Exec 2010 R2, the results was as what I've shared above.

Antivirus has been disabled.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Couple of other things...

1. Upgrade to BE 2010 R3.

2. Is this a NAS or a locally attached device like a USB drive/JBOD?

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Graig: the first post mentions the upgrade from R2 to R3, then the problems began.

James_Ooi
Level 3

Craig,

No, is a local hard disk

boosterific
Level 2

I don't have an answer, but I have the problem.  A couple weeks ago I moved some ISCSI data-drives from a Windows 2003 server to a newly built Windows 2008 R2 server.  The backup performance of those data drives (about 1TB combined) took a major performance hit.  At the time I was using Backup Exec 2010 R1.  So my thought for a solution was to upgrade.  So I upgrade to R3 this weekend and not only did the one job in question not get any better, but all the other jobs got worse too.  At least 25% slower on every job.  I'm backing up to disks directly attached to the Backup Exec server.

I was hoping for a speed boost and got quite the opposite.

thebigred
Level 3

I've seen a slow down in jobs to tape using the VMWare agent over NBD after upgrading to R3.

If you click on my user profile you should be able to see details, it's not really the same as you guys as it looks like you are using standard agents to backup to disk but it's just really odd that since I upgraded to R3 my nbd backups have slowed from 1500 mb/s to 500 mb/s

I've got a call in with them at the moment for this, so if I get anywhere i'll update this in case it's useful / a common problem - but like you guys nothing has changed in our setup apart from the R3 upgrade - it seems sus....

Ol.

Avram_Woroch_2
Level 3
Accredited

I've experienced similar problems with BE2010R3 doing a VMware with GRT backup to disk.  Local disk is PERC6e attached to 8x1TB SATA in MD1000 in RAID10, backing up from EQL PS6010XV 16x15K SAS, over 2x 10GbE iSCSI with the data seeming to be pulled for the GRT via the 1GbE NIC link (ick).  Performance writing to disk is at BEST 1000mb/min as per the job log rate.  Tape is getting WELL over 6000mb/min with GRT off or over 3000MB/min with GRT on. 

Going to disk appears to be incredibly painful. 

Disk/PERC caching is enabled, write back is enabled.  Atto Disk Bench32 shows I can sustain > 300MB/sec at block sizes from 16KB upward.  This works out to be 18000MB/min to compare to BE2010R3 reported speeds.  In fact, only on the 0.5KB block sizes do I get anything that calculates out to less than the 1000MB/sec. 

I know that the network, BE Media Server, SAN, etc, all can do more - as they're doing just fine getting 3-6x better performance than to tape. 

Is BE2010 just THAT bad at backing up to disk?  It would appear from the other posts above, I'm not the oly one seeing horrible performance.

Riyaj_S
Employee Accredited Certified

You may try installing the Microsoft patches mentioned in the following technote ::

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76051

robnicholson
Level 6

Big thread so this might be up there somewhere, but is this B2D or deduplication?

Our main backup is to deduplication but we do have a small B2D folder on an external USB 2 drive. USB 2 can manage about 30MB/s I think which equates to 1,800MB/min. Just run a test backup of a local folder (14GB) without software compression or verify and the job rate was 1,657MB/min so this shows that BE can do B2D at almost full-tilt.

Cheers, Rob.

jsolie
Level 2

I am experiencing the same thing, only I'm backing up local disk to an LTO4 tape.  Our backup job would normally back up this local drive at about 1,100 MB/min.  Since Monday, it's dropped to around 440MB/min.  There have been no MS updates done since Monday (the machine is kept current), and there have been no Symantec updates since Monday.

Our nightly backup starts at 11pm and, prior to Win2008 SP2 64-bit, would finish around 8am.  Not great, but we can live with it.  After pushing Win2008 SP2 64-bit, the backup time went straight down.  I installed 2010 R3 in August, and our backups started finishing around 11am.  Definitely sub-optimal.  And now, with no updates installed, our backup has been running since 11pm (it's 3:09pm as I type this) and the backup isn't even 50% finished.

I don't think I need to install the KB patch that deals with network because I'm backup up a local drive from our SAN to a locally attached tape drive.  It doesn't look like we're overwhelming the SAN.  And we are NOT running in a virtualized environment.

Any suggestions?  I know a bunch of people who would appreciate it...

Kingsley_Mok
Level 5

To all,

To the person or post who keeps asking about the Tape Drive driver, please read the post carefully and read again and read again.

The issue is with backing up to a SAN or a HDD.  Not Tape Drive issue.  Backup to tape is fine, dandy and fast.I've had this problem since B2D was available.

Backup Exec server is directly attached to Secondary or Slave HDD via SATA cable internally => meaning it is a 3.0 Gbps transfer rating.  Also, I have a PCI FC card connecting to a Dell MD3000 storage unit.  This is a 6.0 Gbps transfer rating.  Logically, this should be FASTER than tape.  But noooooo....

Neither of these storage are using USB 2.x or Legacy USB.... in other words, we know what we are doing so stop pointing fingers at us and making excuses what should be and shouldn't be.

During all my tests... past 5 years... Backup Exec backing up via B2D to direct HDD or SAN has never worked optimally for me.  We are now at the latest version 2010 R3 with SP1...and still the same problem with B2D slow performance to HDD or SAN.

I've had my 5 years of uphill battle with Symantec... Remember the days when the broken v11 came out??? Thanks to it, we have corrupted data in backup...then things started to stabilized in 2010 R3.  All that's still left outstanding with me is B2D performance issue.

Basically, if you can do file copy transfer from a target server to a SAN or Backup Exec Server local HDD, that's the speed you should be getting.  But with Symantec Backup Exec B2D, nope.

The other alternative is to upgrade your servers and network with 10Gbps switchs and 10Gbps NICs...that should bump up the speed... Even if you spend $$$ in upgrading your network and servers to 10Gbps...the question remains... will Backup Exec 2010 R3 B2D performance still lag or will it improve?

I would say, it will still lag because of the design in B2D itself.  Symantec's Backup Exec team needs to revisit the design and redo it because the design is not at optimum performance.

jcheahkeyhock
Not applicable

My backup performance last night went so slow, that normally finished before 7.00 am and now they are still running. One job is running at 70 mb/min and another is running at 95 mb /min. We are backing up to dedup folder. Normally this will run at 200 MB /min to 300 MB /min. We are using BE 2010 R3 SP1. I even upgraded my hardware to 2 cpu and the media server has 56 GB ram. The CASO also has 2 CPU and 40 GB ram.