cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 R3 Live Update Fails

cffit
Level 3

Ever since I updated to BE 2010 the live update tries to update and fails.  I thought it was having issues with a certain sp or hotfix, so I manually applied SP2 to our 2010 R3 install, and installed 4 hotfixes post SP2.  Then I try live update again, and it looks like it's trying to download and install the R3 install, which is already on and has been for some time.  Then it fails.  I noticed that one of the hotfixes I tried to install post R3 SP2 fails even manually, so I wonder if that could be what LU is trying to do?  Here is the verbage of the LU:

The following Symantec products and components are installed on your computer.

> Symantec Backup Exec (TM) 2010 R3

Initializing...

Connecting to liveupdate.symantecliveupdate.com...

Downloading catalog file (1 of 1), complete.

Opening update list

The digital signature found on the catalog file has been signed by Symantec Corporation.

Processing update list

Opening update list

Processing update list

The following updates have been found:

> Symantec Backup Exec (TM) 2010 R3, 232352.2 KB

Total Download 232352.2 KB

Downloading Symantec Backup Exec (TM) 2010 R3 (1 of 2), complete.

Downloading Symantec Backup Exec (TM) 2010 R3 (2 of 2), complete.

Installing Symantec Backup Exec (TM) 2010 R3 (1 of 2), failed.

LU1812: A program that was part of this update failed when it ran. This update was not applied.

Installing Symantec Backup Exec (TM) 2010 R3 (2 of 2), failed.

LU1812: A program that was part of this update failed when it ran. This update was not applied.

Installation failed, error summary...

LU1806: LiveUpdate downloaded all of the updates you requested, but all of them failed to install. Please try to get the updates at a later time.

LiveUpdate session is complete.

7 REPLIES 7

cffit
Level 3

I enabled interactive LU and found that it's trying to install SP2, which I already have on, and the HF 180429 which I was not able to install manually either.

lmosla
Level 6

Hi,

Run a repair on Backup Exec that can access a fresh downloaded version of BE 2010
R3.  You can get it from this location

http://trialware.norton.com/files/fc/Backup_Exec_2010_13.0.5204_MultiPlatforms_Multilingual_DVD.iso

Thanks,

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

From above description live update is broken and to fix this you can try below steps

1 Please uninstall live update from add remove programs and once done please remove live update directory from C-Program Files -Symantec considering Symantec is installed on C drive

2 Also remove it from C-Program data -symantec -liveupdate or C -Document setting -All user and application data -symantec live update

3 once live update is removed completely from add remove programs and file explorer please download live update from the link LiveUpdate 3.4  (ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/liveupdate/3.4/)

Go to the Control Panel and open "Symantec Live Update" and select "Interactive Mode".

Open a Command Prompt and run the command "C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\BeUpdateOps.exe -AddBE -OptOut" to re-register Backup Exec with Live Update.

4 Try to run the updates and see if that helps

Thanks

Sym-cr
Level 5

Hi Cffit,

Check these and apply the one which matches your scenario and the environment the most.

Backup Exec Service Packs or hotfixes fail to install with LiveUpdate Errors LU1812, LU1806, LU1839

or after a manual download - ERROR: "The contents of this file cannot be unpacked. The executable you 

are attempting to run has been corrupted."

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH61286

LiveUpdate fails with error LU1812: A program that was part of this update failed when it ran. This update was not applied.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH142671

Install of a Service Pack or Hotfix fails with - LU1812 a program that was part of this update failed when it ran.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH170556

cffit
Level 3

I tried the repair option and that didn't help at all, same result.  I removed and re-installed Live Update per Backup_Exec, and that helped a little bit.  After that, I wasn't prompted to install the hotfix which I wasn't able to install regardless.  It now gave me the option to upgrade to 2012 and install SP2.  I had already installed SP2 manually, but I thought I'd just select SP2 per the LU menu and put it on again.  It downloads, tries to install, then fails.  I'm not sure if I want to upgrade to 2012 yet. 

So I did get a little further, but LU doesn't seem to recognize that I already have SP2 installed and it keeps listing it and wanting to install it.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

First of all need to clear few things ,BE 2012 notification you get in live update is only notification about new version but doesn't install BE 2012 using live update and now about sp2 still faliling ,Please follow the below steps to resolve it

1 Take the backup of Data and Catalog by stopping SQL service for bkupexec (Data and Catalogs will be present at place were Backup Exec is installed C-Program Files-Symantec-Backup Exec)

2 Please also take the backup of besernum.xml file which hold license information that would be present on win2008 OS on C-Porgram Data-Symantec-Backup Exec-Logs and in Win2003 -C-Document Settings-All Users -Application Data-Symantec

3 After taking the backup please uninstall BE 2010 from add remove programs and download BE 2010 new ISO from the link below which already contain sp2

BE 2010  Installer - http://trialware.norton.com/files/fc/Backup_Exec_2010_13.0.2896_MultiPlatforms_Multilingual_DVD.iso
(Same can be used for SBS)

4 Please download single ISO file of 3.47 gb precisely from the above link and once done please extract it using winrar and install the BE 2010 r3 with sp2 (While installing BE 2010 import the besernum.xml file which you have saved before uninstalling BE 2010)and once installed in Add Remove programs please click on updates and you will see it will list BE 2010 r3 sp2 there

5 Now in Backup Exec please run live update again and this time it will download sp2 as live update is registering it once & should finish and when you run live update again it should prompt you for other updates than sp2 for BE 2010 r3 which you can install too

6 Finally please stop the SQL service for backup exec again by going to serivces for windows and then take the cut the current Data and Catalogs and paste it in new location new folder as fresh copy and the copy the Data and Catalogs which you had saved before uninstall and paste it to location were Backup Exec is installed and start all services for Backup Exec and should be it. Only note once you update the Backup Exec with all patches please update remote agent on remote server too doing a push install.

Hope that helps

Thanks

cffit
Level 3

I'm not sure if I want to go to that length since SP2 is on and working, and it's just LU that is not seeing it and trying to download and install it again.  Isn't this still more of a Live Update issue beings the BE application is working fine?