Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 R3 Oracle Restore

KeirL
Level 6
Partner

Hi

Can anyone help me understand how Oracle restores should work?

I have a Backup Exec 2010 R3 SP1 server which I have backed up oracle from a Linux client. The backups seem to work fine and so I started with test some restores.

I asked the Oracler DBA to create a 'Test' tablespace which i then backed up successfully and I could see it in the Backup Exec restore GUI. The DBA then 'dropped' the database so I could test a restore. However, when the database was dropped it vanished from the Backup Exec restore GUI and so I couldn't select it for restore!

Is this expected behaviour and if so why? How can I restore an oracle database that has been inadvertently dropped if it disappears from the restore GUI?

The DBA then recreated the test database an it reappeared in the restore GUI but an attempt to restore the tablespace 'over the top' of the newly created 'test' tablespace resulted in the job showing successful but no data being restored - the backup exec log file showed the that tablespace wasn't restored at it was 'readonly, offline or already exists'

I then asked the DBA to delete the DBF file - which he di - this then remained in the backup exec restore gui and so I could select it for restore - the restore was successful and the tablepace coule then be accessed and used.

So it seems I could only restore a tablespace that was deleted and not dropped?? is this correct???

Thanks

Keir

7 REPLIES 7

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

refer

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO24304

If you perform a complete recovery on the whole database, or on a tablespace or datafile, you must restore a backup of the database or files that you want to recover. Then you must apply online or archived redo logs, or both. For jobs that are initiated both from the media server and from a DBA, RMAN determines the specific data that it requires from Backup Exec to complete the restore and the recovery that you request.

Note:

Backup Exec does not support Oracle tablespace point-in-time restore (TSPITR) through server-initiated operations

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH67579

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I hope that you are not using Oracle 11g R2 on your Linux client.  This is not supported.  BE 2010 R3 only support Oracle 11g R2 on the Windows platform.

BE 2010|2010 R2|2010 R3 Software (SCL)

KeirL
Level 6
Partner

We are using Oracle 10g

So I'm not sure if the previous answer actually answers my question - and this is perhaps due to my lack of Oracle knowledge.

to help me understand is anyone able to give simple Yes or No answers to the following:

When a single tablespace is 'dropped' from within Oracle (10g) should it disappear from the restore GUI in backup exec? YES\NO

If YES is there a documented way to recover the tablespace from Backup Exec? YES\NO

I may have some further questions but I need to understand the above two questions first.

kind regards

KL

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

There are 2 view in restore view for oracle one is control file and another one is current database

Tablespaces would  disappeared from current database view when they are dropped .You will see current database and controlf file node and  u can restore it from current database node

KeirL
Level 6
Partner

And thank you for your patience in helping me with this.

So I now understand that the tablespace will disappear from the the current database view if the database is dropped. This will therefore mean i can't restore the dropped tablespace using this method.

I also agree that I CAN still see the dropped table space entry in the 'Control File view', however I can only select the entire control file which also includes the entries for all the other tablespaces. So what is the impact on the other tablespaces (the ones that are all ok and don't need to have any restores performed against them) if I were to restore the entire control file?

Wouldn't the control revert all the other tablespaces back to their status at the time the backup was made? Or is there a another step that would mean that ONLY the dropped tablespace would be restored and all other tablespaces would be left unaffected?

Many thanks for your help with this.

K

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Lilavati
Level 4
Employee

If you want restore dropped tablespace you can restore it from contrfol file node using " To a point in time" option ( Provide the time of backup set when that tablepsace was present in the database). But if you restore using "To a point in time" option other tablespaces will be affected.