cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 R3 SP2 VM Backup Error (HELP)

Scott_Riser
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I have a Backup Exec 2010 R3 SP2 system running backups and most are running fine except for one of the VMWare backups (running ESX 5.0). The error that it reports is:

"V-79-57344-38743 - A Backup Exec media server cannot back itself up when it is installed on a virtual machine."

But here's the weird thing, the BE server isn't a VM. What's going on here?

7 REPLIES 7

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Have you tried creating a new backup job for the VM in question?

VJware
Level 6

Have you looked at - http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH172522 ?

Yves0001
Level 2
Accredited

Hi Scott,

were you able to solve this issue? I'm having the same problem. I already tried recreating the job and installed the latest updates.

Thx

Colin_Weaver

Is that particular virtual machine also your vCenter server?

EDIT: also is this a Linux VM configured in the same job definition as a Windows VM with GRT enabled on the job (which is what the linked Tech172522 article already provided in this thread stated - but for some reason teh article does not seem to be accessible currently.)

Yves0001
Level 2
Accredited

On the Backup media server is also Vcenter installed, but my backup media server is a physical server. The backup gives this error when trying to backup the system state of my Backup media server.

Colin_Weaver

Ahh Ok so you are doing a standard RAWS backup of your media server at the time and not a VMware backup of a Virtual Machine -  not sure if this particular problem has been reported to us (or the forums) before

Yves0001
Level 2
Accredited

In the meantime its solved. I deleted the backup job and the selection list and then recreated them. The last 3 days my backup is successfull.