Hi all,

Full scenario:

1. START
    • Old physical HP Proliant ML 350 G5
    • Tape robot
    • Server 2008 std
    • job setup:
      • Monday: Full backup of all servers, excluding the physical HP ML 350 G5
      • Monday: chained behind the full backup, using a post command, another full job starts, backing up to HP ML 350 G5
      • Tuesday: same 2 jobs, differential
      • Wednesday: same 2 jobs, full
      • Thursday: same 2 jobs, differential
      • Friday: same 2 jobs, full

We did a P2V since the hardware was outdated.
Everything remained the same, IP, name, the lot.
Offcourse we uninstalled Backup Exec since we'd need a physical machine to use the tape robot.

1. CURRENT SETUP, for backup:
    • Temporary HP Proliant ML 350 G6
    • Tape robot
    • Server 2012 std
    • Backup exec 2010 R3 - SP 4 + hotfix 212812

What we did was

• install BE 2010 R3 - SP4 + hotfix 212812
  • just copy the right files and folders, from the old G5, to the newer G6
  • all the jobs etc. were there, looking good
  • created a small test job, few mb: success (amazing)
  • First night we ran a real backup: failed: no trust relationship
  • Uninstalled remote agents, applied hotfix 212812, reinstalled remote agents
  • Trying to get the backup right now, since october 6th.. without success.

For some reason the notifications aren't sent out anymore, the jobs won't chain anymore like they used to, sometimes they do, sometimes they don't..

Main issue, or worst error is, no backup at all..

Error:

"Woensdag - Excluding ABNSQL01 -- The job failed with the following error: The network connection to the Backup Exec Remote Agent has been lost. Check for network errors."

Job log:
Job ended: donderdag 9 oktober 2014 at 9:53:42

Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00084f8 - The network connection to the Backup Exec Remote Agent has been lost. Check for network errors.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-34040

I have no more ideas left...
The error makes no sense at all, there is no loss of connectivity..
What to do?

Thanks in advance

Note: we did not copy over the catalogs to the ML G6 server, just the config files etc..
Note2: all remote agents are on the same version as the backup exec server + also disabled symantec endpoint protection on the backup exec server, read somewhere this might also cause this issue...

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Sym-cr
Level 5

Hi LunAds,

If I understood your environment correctly, you have installed Backup exec 2010 R3 SP4 on a Win Server 2012 Standard. However, Backup Exec 2010 R3 (With any Service Pack) is not supported to be installed as the media server on Win Server 2012 (any edition).

Please check the link:

Backup Exec Support for Windows Server 2012 and 2012 R2

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH196108

This may or may not be directly related to your errors/issues, but the correct issue can only be diagnosed if we are running Backup Exec in a compatible environment.

Thanks!!

View solution in original post

pkh
   VIP    Certified
If you want to use BE 2014, then you can use Server 2012. This is supported. You will get a 60 days trial. You only need to use Server 2008 if you want to use BE 2010 See the SCL's below http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH137682 http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH217478

Sym-cr
Level 5

Hi LunAds,

Yes, the better option would be to install BE 2014 on your Win Server 2012. However, you don't have to uninstall BE 2010. You just need to upgrade BE 2010 directly to BE 2014 (Trial Version = 60 Days) and accomplish what you need.

Few steps to perform as safety measures:

1. Update or determine the latest build Backup Exec is currently running.
  2. Go to HELP | ABOUT | Run LiveUpdate to install the latest Service Pack and/or Hotfixes.
  3. Go to HELP | ABOUT | Installed Updates and note the services packs and Hotfixes installed.
  4. Launch servicesmgr.exe (default location: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec) and click Stop All Services.
  5. Stop the 'SQL Server (BKUPEXEC)' Service from within the Windows Services console.
  6. Copy the Data and Catalog folders to a temporary location outside of the Program Files\Symantec folder (may be on your desktop) - This is to keep your database and catalogs safe, which can be used to recover the BE Jobs and other configuration in case the upgrade fails.
  7. Start the BE services and the 'SQL Server (BKUPEXEC) Service and then perform the upgrade.

Note: Upon successful upgrade you can delete the Data and Catalogs folder which you copied at the temporary location.

Thanks!!

LunAds
Level 3

So, I've completely reinstalled the server to Win2008 R2 std.

I've split up all jobs, per server, per day.

job overview.JPG

jobreport.JPG

Error:

error_0.JPG

I will now apply this soluition:
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH160574
And re-run the job now.

19 REPLIES 19

lmosla
Level 6

run a repair of the Backup Exec installation from Programs and Features .

Sym-cr
Level 5

Hi LunAds,

If I understood your environment correctly, you have installed Backup exec 2010 R3 SP4 on a Win Server 2012 Standard. However, Backup Exec 2010 R3 (With any Service Pack) is not supported to be installed as the media server on Win Server 2012 (any edition).

Please check the link:

Backup Exec Support for Windows Server 2012 and 2012 R2

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH196108

This may or may not be directly related to your errors/issues, but the correct issue can only be diagnosed if we are running Backup Exec in a compatible environment.

Thanks!!

LunAds
Level 3

@sym-crazy: yes, you're correct.

Hmm.

What would be my best bet?
The ML G6 is a temporary server.
Our customer wants to use the older ML G5 within 1 month as backuper server.

The reason we are the G6 as temporary is that the customer wants the old ML G5 to stay intact for 1 month, in case we have to revert the P2V and so on...

So, the way I see it, I have 2 options: 

1. Full reinstall of the G6, win2008 instead of 2012
  2. Uninstall BE2010 and install BE2014 - trial, since customer doesn't have a license for 2014.
    We could use the trial since it's only for +- 1 month.
    (how long is the trial period? 30 days or longer?)

What would be my best bet?
The reason we still need a physical server is for the backup robot and yes.. unfortunately a fax... (GFI faxmaker). 
Which is also making trouble, probably 'cuz of the server 2012...

pkh
   VIP    Certified
If you want to use BE 2014, then you can use Server 2012. This is supported. You will get a 60 days trial. You only need to use Server 2008 if you want to use BE 2010 See the SCL's below http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH137682 http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH217478

LunAds
Level 3

is there a limit in the amount of agents you can use in the BE2014 trial?

Because that will likely be the fix for us then, since its a 60 day trial.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
No. There is no limit on the number of agents for trial, but each of them is also limited to 60 days. Note that if the core BE is on trial, the trial period for all agents starts from the time you start to use BE and not when you first start to use the agent

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Install the 2014 trial, then you don't have to reinstall the entire server.

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Trial is basically the same as the full version, it is only limited in time

Sym-cr
Level 5

Hi LunAds,

Yes, the better option would be to install BE 2014 on your Win Server 2012. However, you don't have to uninstall BE 2010. You just need to upgrade BE 2010 directly to BE 2014 (Trial Version = 60 Days) and accomplish what you need.

Few steps to perform as safety measures:

1. Update or determine the latest build Backup Exec is currently running.
  2. Go to HELP | ABOUT | Run LiveUpdate to install the latest Service Pack and/or Hotfixes.
  3. Go to HELP | ABOUT | Installed Updates and note the services packs and Hotfixes installed.
  4. Launch servicesmgr.exe (default location: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec) and click Stop All Services.
  5. Stop the 'SQL Server (BKUPEXEC)' Service from within the Windows Services console.
  6. Copy the Data and Catalog folders to a temporary location outside of the Program Files\Symantec folder (may be on your desktop) - This is to keep your database and catalogs safe, which can be used to recover the BE Jobs and other configuration in case the upgrade fails.
  7. Start the BE services and the 'SQL Server (BKUPEXEC) Service and then perform the upgrade.

Note: Upon successful upgrade you can delete the Data and Catalogs folder which you copied at the temporary location.

Thanks!!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Wouldn't it be easier to just uninstall BE 2010 and install BE 2014?

Sym-cr
Level 5

Let LunAds decide what he wants to choose...all these are suggestions. Finally it's him to decide and opt.

LunAds
Level 3

Since it's a temporary server, I'd would have done this:

• Install BE 2014 trial
  • Move the FAX software to a MFP with a fax module, since its a temp fix

After 1 month, reinstall their old ML 350 G5 and then get everything back on 2008.

Boss made me now reinstall the G6, which is a lot of time for a server which will only run for a month.

But thanks for the advice.

I'll get back here if the backup won't run.

LunAds
Level 3

So, I've completely reinstalled the server to Win2008 R2 std.

I've split up all jobs, per server, per day.

job overview.JPG

jobreport.JPG

Error:

error_0.JPG

I will now apply this soluition:
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH160574
And re-run the job now.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

..in future, please include the link from the TN where you copied and pasted from. Otherwise you're plagiarising by passing off an official Symantec TN as your own...

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH67296

Thanks!

LunAds
Level 3

Backup success!

Can be closed!

Thanks!

CraigV

...you need to mark the thread that helped you find the solution in orer for that person to be recognised for it.

Thanks!

LunAds
Level 3

Marked all posts that helped :)

CraigV

Thanks very much!

LunAds
Level 3

Still 1 more problem, made new thread:

please read:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/be-2010-r3-sp4-not-detecting-tapeloader-after-changing-tapes