cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 R3 - Tape Backups fails Error Code E000FE09

Mo_Chowdhury
Level 4

Hi, I have the following error code and I'm running out of ideas what to do and I hope you can advise me what I should do.

I have two DAILY backups on Backup Exec 2010 R3.

• One runs to a NAS box as a FULL backup Mon-Fri
  • The same to a tape backup (HP StorageWorks DAT 160) FULL Mon-Fri

The disk backup to the NAS box works fine and completes successfully but the tape back stops and says 'LOADING MEDIA' at the same point near the completion of the backup (93GB-94GB). So in other words the backup runs fine on the tape for around 6 or 7 hours near it's completion and fails at the same stage with 'LOADING MEDIA'

On the logs it says the below: -

'E0009FE09 - The directory is invalid. One or more Microsoft Exchange databases were backed up but the Symantec Backup Exec Active Directory Recovery Agent is not installed. Symantec recommends that you install and use Active Directory Recovery Agent to better manage your exchange data.'

I have ensured the software has the latest patches and recently installed this on the media server and all remote servers (remote agents) so all are patched up and up to date. I have also tried the following: -

• Restarted the WHOLE backup services and restarted the server
  • Paused, Disabled the device and re-enabled and try again
  • Tried different tapes
  • Cleaned the drive

I haven't had AD recovery agent installed before and my disk backups works fine without this. Why is this happening to tape backups? This has happened for the tape backups for the last few weeks and I've tried to troubleshoot the issue myself to no avail.

Could this be something to do with disabling user accounts on AD for old members of staff? These user objects have their email address tied down to the account so thought it could be something to do with this, but the disk backups complete successfully so I'm not too sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Quoting from this document

http://www.precision.com/pdfs/HP_DAT_160_Drive.pdf

the HP StorageWorks DAT 160 Tape Drive can store up to 160 GB of compressed data
on a single cartridge at speeds of up to 50 GB/hr (assuming 2:1 data compression). 

The uncompressed capacity of your tape is only 80GB.  A 2:1 compression ratio is very difficult to achieve in real life. Typically, you should expect a compression ratio of 1.2 - 1.3:1.  You are getting 93 - 94 GB of data onto your 80GB tape which gives a compression ratio of 1.2:1.  This is about normal.  You are getting compression.  There is nothing that you can do to cramp more data onto to the tape, other than not backing up some data which compresses properly, like zipped files, movie clips, sound and picture files.  You can read about compression in my article

Your tape is ejecting because it is full and BE requires another overwriteble tape to continue.  If you want to put all your data onto 1 tape, you would have to get a tape drive and tapes of higher capacity.  Also, you might want to consider getting a tape library which can handle multiple tape automatically.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

You can ignore that error...it has nothing to do with your problem.

However, if BE hangs at loading media, check and make sure there are no pending alerts waiting for confirmation. It could be that the tape ejects, and BE is waiting for it to be inserted so that it can run a Verify job for instance.

Thanks!

Mo_Chowdhury
Level 4

Hi Craig,

Thanks for your reply.

There are no pending media alerts and but the tape does eject around 93-94GB of backing up. Like I mentioned above it works a few weeks ago but since then it hasn't.

I have made sure the external tape device (HP StorageWorks DAT 160) is up to date with latest drivers and firmware.

Anything else you recommend?

Thanks.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Do you have the HP Insight or HP Data Protector services installed & running ? If so, try disabling them & re-attempt the tape backup..

Also, do ensure you have opted to display new alerts automatically through Tools - Options - Preferences

CraigV

...if it's ejecting at that byte count, check what sort of compression you are getting. You should be getting at least 160GB onto the tape, but if you're running the backup with compression and backing up data that's already compressed, there are instances where the data can be decompressed, affecting the amount of data you can fit onto the tape.

Might also be worth your while getting hold of the HP Library and Tape Tools utility and running diagnostic checks against the drive to see if there are any potential hardware problems. Just stop the BE services first...

Mo_Chowdhury
Level 4

Hi guys,

I checked the compression and all ok and getting 160GB of compression on the tapes I'm using. I ran that HP Library & Tools utility and all passed ok.

There isn't HP insight or HP data protector services running at all on this media server. Do you recommend trying to erase one tape as a test, label and retest to run the backup?

Thanks.

CraigV

Try it by erasing the tape using LTT and running a backup, and then comparing this to erasing a tape in BE and running a backup.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Quoting from this document

http://www.precision.com/pdfs/HP_DAT_160_Drive.pdf

the HP StorageWorks DAT 160 Tape Drive can store up to 160 GB of compressed data
on a single cartridge at speeds of up to 50 GB/hr (assuming 2:1 data compression). 

The uncompressed capacity of your tape is only 80GB.  A 2:1 compression ratio is very difficult to achieve in real life. Typically, you should expect a compression ratio of 1.2 - 1.3:1.  You are getting 93 - 94 GB of data onto your 80GB tape which gives a compression ratio of 1.2:1.  This is about normal.  You are getting compression.  There is nothing that you can do to cramp more data onto to the tape, other than not backing up some data which compresses properly, like zipped files, movie clips, sound and picture files.  You can read about compression in my article

Your tape is ejecting because it is full and BE requires another overwriteble tape to continue.  If you want to put all your data onto 1 tape, you would have to get a tape drive and tapes of higher capacity.  Also, you might want to consider getting a tape library which can handle multiple tape automatically.

Mo_Chowdhury
Level 4

Hi,

I think the tape is at it's full capacity and isn't getting 2.1 compression for all files and folders as mentioned above. I tested this with a brand new tape with new catalog with the same backup job and does the same.

I'm looking into purchasing a new tape drive with more storage so your advice has helped me finding the cause of the issue.

Thanks again all.

Mo