cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 R3 - Traditional Backup Vs VMware Agent Backup (AVVI)

rsiddiqi
Level 5

What is main difference between Traditional Backup and VMware Agent backup.

I currently backup exchange (2010) tranditionally and would like to backup using VMware agent. The tranditional back truncate the exchange db logs and shrink db file. I am not sure if log will truncate and db file will shrink if I do exchange backup using VMware agent. For traditional backup I backup C drive, all exchange dbs and system state and shadow copy components. For VMware backup the only thing I see is *.VMDK file which is a whole machine.

An help would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

>>> You must also install an Agent for Applications and Databases licence for each Exchange VM. <<< Are you referring to license for Exchange, SQL, Sharepoint which goes on the media server?

Yes.  You would need 1 such licence for each Exchange VM.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

First of all with traditonal backup means by exchange agent way also you can do a differential backup were logs are not truncated or copy backup were logs are not flushed after doing backup of database

With exchange agent used you can backup exchange in any setup means if exchange is like single server or in cluster like exchange 2007 CCR or Exchange 2010 DAG

With Vmware agent yes you can do application GRT backup of exchange but only for a virtual machine which host exchange and but it does not support exchange on multiple VMs

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you backup your Exchange VM, the Exchange database will be backed up in full and the logs will be truncated.  For this to happen, you must install RAWS in the Exchange VM.  You must also install an Agent for Applications and Databases licence for each Exchange VM.

To restore individual items, you got to expand the Exchange machine.  See my article below

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-individual-filesfolders-vm-backup

Although it is written for files, it is equally applicable for restoring mailboxes.

VJware
Level 6

And not just for Exchange, applies to SQL, Sharepoint & Active Directory as well...

Backup with the Agent for VMware backs up the complete VM (vmdk) & during restore, you have the option of restoring the complete vmdk or restore individual items (provided GRT requirements were met during the backup)

rsiddiqi
Level 5

Hi Phk, I did not understand >>> You must also install an Agent for Applications and Databases licence for each Exchange VM. <<< Are you referring to license for Exchange, SQL, Sharepoint which goes on the media server? The only thing I put on VM servers is backup exec agent and media server has license for each application (exchange, sql, sharepoint)

Hi VJware, can you verify if grt restore works for SharePoint using VMware agent. Please refer to attached (SharePoint does not show up under grt)

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

"I did not understand >>> You must also install an Agent for Applications and Databases licence for each Exchange VM. <<< Are you referring to license for Exchange, SQL, Sharepoint which goes on the media server? The only thing I put on VM servers is backup exec agent and media server has license for each application (exchange, sql, sharepoint)"

Yes license must be installed on media server and remote agent for application  GRT backup on a virtual machibe .

pkh
   VIP    Certified

>>> You must also install an Agent for Applications and Databases licence for each Exchange VM. <<< Are you referring to license for Exchange, SQL, Sharepoint which goes on the media server?

Yes.  You would need 1 such licence for each Exchange VM.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I believe the question is address to me.  I can answer my own questions.  It is very rude to butt in on a conversation.