cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 R3 and GRT

villeah
Level 5

Hello,

I have a weird problem with GRT. When I'm trying to restore individual file or folder from our file server, GRT backups aren't available in the listing. Therefore I have a long time range without full backups, only daily differential. Also weird thing is that one disk can be available for grt restore, but another disk from same server is not. I haven't seen any error messages in backup logs, which makes this even more dangerous. This happens with several servers.

Does anyone know what has gone wrong? This used to work like charm.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

are you backing up to B2D, and specifically removable B2D? If so, you need to look at recatalogging your B2D you want to restore from.

If this is to tape, run LiveUpdate and install SP1 (or install BE 2010 R3 SP1 manually)...then check again!

Thanks!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

NeerThadarai
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

Which GRT are you talking about? Are you doing backup of Virtual Machine using the AVVI Agent?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

are you backing up to B2D, and specifically removable B2D? If so, you need to look at recatalogging your B2D you want to restore from.

If this is to tape, run LiveUpdate and install SP1 (or install BE 2010 R3 SP1 manually)...then check again!

Thanks!

villeah
Level 5

Yeah, that's what I'm talkin about. Sorry about inadequate information.

villeah
Level 5

I am backing up to deduplication folder, which resides on same server.

villeah
Level 5

More information: This issue seems to be happening only with Windows Server 2003. With newer clients (mostly Server 2008 R2) I have no problems restoring GRT enabled backups. 

I haven't updated SP1 yet, but all the previous patches are installed.

Here is example of the problem scenario:

Windows Server 2003 with three disks, which each holds one partition.

"Backup Exec has discovered and protected 'C:' on virtual machine <FQDN of the machine name>"

Whereas with Windows Server 2008..

Both disks are discovered and protected as they should.

Then I found this http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH155688 , but it shouldn't be the same issue?

Why does my jobs complete without errors?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Windows Server 2003 with three disks, which each holds one partition.

Are these disk dynamic or RDM?  These are not supported.

villeah
Level 5

No, they are all basic disks. Besides, this used to work before, and nothing has changed in disk types.

villeah
Level 5

SP1 and/or Hotfix 167567 apparently fixed the issue, because after installing them the problem hasn't appeared anymore.