Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 R3 on vSphere 4.1.0 client

nbuengr2
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello Experts!,

Good day!

One of our customers wants to upgrade and enable dedup, their BE 2010 to BE 2014 or 15. Since their Backup is riding in VM, i suggest to them that

they need to migrate their BE 2010 on a physical server so that we can configure dedup.

Question:

1. How we will migrate the whole BE 2010 R3 on the new Physical server?

2. Since they're moving to physical, what is the suggested HDD for dedup? and without dedup? Is there a tool we can use?

3. Also, they're planning to use their physical server itself as a storage (partition). Can we configure it as a dedup?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

You'd need to upgrade your version of VMware to a supported version if you want to go to BE 15. Check the SCL below:

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH227896.html

Migrating isn't an issue, but I would suggest that you do the following:

1. get the new physical server running with Windows Server 2xxx and install Backup Exec 2010 R3 and patch accordingly.

2. Use the TN below to move BE 2010 R3 from the old server (VM) to the new server (physical):

3. Upgrade the new server to BE 15 as an in-place upgrad:

Just brag copies of th eData/Catalogs folders before any migration or upgrade.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

BE 15 does not support ESXi 4.1, but previous version BE 2014 does.

1) Server migration is possible. Steps depends upon the OS and if the new server's name will be same or not.

2) Have a look @ the HCL or run the B2D Test Tool. There aren't any HDDs recommended by BE though.

3) Yes, DeDup can be configured on the local BE media server as well.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

You'd need to upgrade your version of VMware to a supported version if you want to go to BE 15. Check the SCL below:

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH227896.html

Migrating isn't an issue, but I would suggest that you do the following:

1. get the new physical server running with Windows Server 2xxx and install Backup Exec 2010 R3 and patch accordingly.

2. Use the TN below to move BE 2010 R3 from the old server (VM) to the new server (physical):

3. Upgrade the new server to BE 15 as an in-place upgrad:

Just brag copies of th eData/Catalogs folders before any migration or upgrade.

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Just to clarify some things

- Deduplication can run inside a VM, however we recommend you don't because the Disk I/O operations can be intensive as can the CPU and RAM requirements. It may also be the ESXi 4.x is not as good as handling resource allocation compared with newer ESX versions, which would therefore be another comment about a good reason to go physical

- direct tape  (library or drive access) is not supported inside a VM so if they are intending using tape as well as Deduplication that does need a physical server (with the exception of iSCSI supported tape libraries)

- because ESX 4.1 is two major versions out of date you probably should consider whether to plan to upgrade to a newer version of ESX too (then you will be able to use the latest version of Backup Exec assuming that you don't have any other older software or harwdare technologies in use that would not be supported (check the SCL and HCL lists carefully)

- if you stay on ESXi 4.1 so Backup Exec 2014 then you will have to confirm how to get licenses as I suspect you woud have to buy BE 15 ones and then ask for downgrades

- if you can update ESXi to 5.1 or above (prefarably 6) then BE 15 comes into play but be aware it has to be installed on 64bit operating systems and the OS in questiosn should be equal to or newer than then Active Directory Version (or Hyper-V versions but you are using VMware) in use in your environment

nbuengr2
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi All,

Thanks for you replies.

I got the idea now