cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 R3 strange backup device

Mr_Momo
Level 3

Hi all,

I have recently inherited a backup solution from the person who did my job previously. We have 2 sites with Backup Exec 2010 R3 installed. Both are on Dell DL powervault servers with SAS attached tape libraries.

The primary roles for these devices are exchange backups so we run a backup to disk job, then a duplicate to tape.

In office A we used the default config from when the device was delivered by Dell.

In office B apparently the device had issues so had to be rebuilt (by this person who has now left). However in doing so he's configured this backup device which I have never seen before.

I have attached a screenshot of the device as it appears in Backup Exec. Effectively it seems to pick up the virtual disks from the powervault server and allow you to backup straight to those disks without having to create a Backup-to-disk folder. This seems to work much better than a backup-to-disk folder so I want to replicate this device to office A.

Can anyone help or point me in the right direction? Or better yet tell me how to set this up in office A?

Thanks in advance.

smiley

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

See if this helps - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH63632

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

It looks like this needs to be done on the Dell and then presented to the media server.

Is this not perhaps a VTL?

Thanks!

Mr_Momo
Level 3

Hi Craig,

I'm not sure - the virtual disks are basic NTFS volumes on Raid 5. There's nothing special about them, they are browsable through Windows as normal.

It's as though Backup Exec can see the Raid controller and in turn see the virtual disks we've setup from there.

Pretty sure it's not a VTL - the icons seem very different.

I've called Symantec support - they seem to have no idea what it is too! lol.

Thanks

VJware
Level 6

The icons look like a virtual disks on a storage array... On you other setup, do you have a "Storage Provisioning option" installed ?

Mr_Momo
Level 3

No we don't have that option installed (yet) - but to be fair I can't see how to set it up on the site that already has it! That one has the Storage Provisioning Option installed on it.

We seem to be missing a couple of options on office A compare to what office B has. Notably:

• Storage Provisioning Option - Basic
  • Deduplication Option

I've been trying find the setup procedure on that server so when we get those licenses installed I can go through and setup this device.

Is there a guide on how to setup the storage array through Backup Exec?

Thank you

VJware
Level 6

Theis KB will help you in setting up the option ~

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO23914

Additionally, Dell also has documentation titled Dell Powervault Appliance and Symantec Storage Provisioning Option (atleast to this effect is the title of the doc) which should help you further.

Mr_Momo
Level 3

Thanks for the info.

A link within the one you posted tells me how to configure the storage array in a CASO environment.

Is there a guide for setting it up locally? We don't have a CAS.

VJware
Level 6

Actually, the sub-link talks about setting up this option in both CASO and non-CASO environments.

Verbatim from the KB -

To configure a storage array by using the Storage Array Configuration Wizard

There is no difference in configuring the array in a CASO or a non-CASO environment. The difference is in a CASO environment, you run the storage wizard on a specific media server.

1. On the Tools menu, click Configure Devices.

2. Click Configure Storage Array.

3. Do one of the following:

In a non-CASO environment

On the Welcome panel, select the storage array that you want to configure, and then click Next.

In a CASO environment

Do the following in the order listed:

• On the Welcome panel, select the managed media server that you want to access the virtual disks.

• Select the storage array that you want to configure.

• Click Next.

4. Follow the on-screen directions.

Mr_Momo
Level 3

Hmmmmm.. We must be missing something then.. We don't have that option in the Tools > Configure Devices menu.

I have attached a screenshot of the menu and the installed options from the site that already has this array configured.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...your issue is that you don't have CAS as you mentioned. You need to purchase the license for the Enterprise Server Option to enable this.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

In Office B, you have the dedup option and is probably using the disk device as an OST appliance.  This is why you do not have to define any B2D folders before backing up to this device.

If you want to access the storage from Office A, then you would need to have the dedup option as well as CASO.  You can then share the OST appliance at Office B with Office A.

Mr_Momo
Level 3

So you're saying this is an Open Storage device and not a Storage Array?

Also we don't want to share the device between the 2 sites. Both sites have their own storage attached to the servers. In office A it hasn't been configured, in Office B it's configured and up and running.

So I ideally need to know how to configure whatever has been done in Office B, for Office A.

Thanks

Mr_Momo
Level 3

But in office B where it's already setup we don't have a CAS.

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified
My guess I'd that it is an OST device. If it is not, then you would need to define B2D folders before you can write to it. I suggest that you check with the disk vendor

Mr_Momo
Level 3

From my searches it's 100% definitely a storage array.

I just came across this:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO99414

I can follow those steps from A-Z (apart from limiting BE to read-only and pre-allocation size options) and see everything on the existing setup we have at Office B.

Ok so now we know it's a storage array but not in a CAS environment - but how do we set it up in Office A, or how can I go through the setup steps at office B so that when we get the licenses installed I can go through the setup procedure?

Thanks

VJware
Level 6

See if this helps - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH63632

Mr_Momo
Level 3

I think this is the one! Thank you very much.

From the looks of it i'll need to get the license installed 1st then it should detect the storage array itself.

Once I get the license installed and everything setup i'll reply again to confirm success/failure.

Thanks again VJWare - and thanks everyone for your input.