Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010, RALUS issue

MPieper
Level 4

Hi,

i installed the RALUS on SUSE 11.

After some hassles with the firewall, i got the SUSE machine to show up on the Media Server.

When i do a backup, the backup runs fine at a reasonable speed, without errors.

But when i want to restore data directly from the tape (by right-clicking on the tape and selecting "Restore Data...") it says that the Media was not found in the catalogs. This does not change, even when i manually catalog the tape. The catalog job itself does run fine.

When i look at the statistics of the tape, it shows roughly the correct amount of data written and no errors.

What could be the issue here? I am no Linux expert, are there any logs on the Linux box that could help diagnose the problem? The installed agent comes from my install directory on the Media Server. (ralus2896SP1.tar.gz) I also applied the Hotfix (ralus2896HF340433.tar.gz) that was in the same directory. Are there any other updates available for RALUS?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi there,

When restoring the information, just make sure that the date range showing is correct. This sometimes happens if no date range is selected, or if the tape is older than the default date range shown!

Laters!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi there,

When restoring the information, just make sure that the date range showing is correct. This sometimes happens if no date range is selected, or if the tape is older than the default date range shown!

Laters!

MPieper
Level 4

Thanks for your answer.

I just doublechecked the date range, the end was not checked. The beginning date is set to one month ago. I set the date to tomorrow to see if this changed anything, but still no catalog. I also restarted the Backup Exec services, this did not help, too.

I checked Live Update and it found two hotfixes, but the knowledgebase does not seem to work at the moment. At least all links i find about those hotfixes show only white...

http://entsupport.symantec.com/umi/V-373-00031

http://entsupport.symantec.com/umi/V-373-00029

Do you have any information about those fixes?

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If you backups are successful then check in the job log if all the things got backed up fine or not. Does it show the right size for the backups.How long it took to complete the linux box.

Try the below steps:

Do the same backup on B2D folder and see if you are able to see the data in restore

If yes then try a different backup on to tape and check if you are able to see the restore.

Also please check the event viewer for any catalog errors.

MPieper
Level 4

Hi,

i just did a test, using a Backup 2 Disk Folder. I still have the same issue. The backup runs fine without any issues. Only when i back up the whole linux box, some *.so files are skipped, which is expected, as far as i know.

The resulting bkf file does not show up in the Media Catalog. A catalog job on the bkf file runs very fast, but without errors. The Eventlog shows no errors concerning this catalog job. After this catalog job, the media or its contents still don't show up.

On disk, this bkf file is 20 KB larger than the backed up file. When i catalog this file using ntbackup on a separate box, i see the file i backed up and can restore it without problems, using ntbackup. This means that the Backup itself runs fine, obviuosly.

The disk containing the catalogs on the Backup Exec server has more that 15 GB free, which should be more than enough. The catalogs of our regular scheduled (windows) backups work fine. I assume that Backup exec would give me a warning when the disk runs out of space?

The two hotfixes i mentioned above do not fix anything that concerns me at the moment, i will install them at our next patching cycle.

I have only one idea left: Could this be an issue with the logon account? I had to create a new logon account to be able to connect to the Linux box from Backup Exec. This account has root privileges on the linux, but does not even exist on the Backup Server, except as Logon Account in Backup Exec.

MPieper
Level 4

Ok, the issue is solved.

The date on the linux box was way off, more than a year in the past...

At first, I only unchecked the checkmark for the end date when restoring. The most obviuos is sometimes the last thing you check. :)