cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 SBS and vmware virtual infrastructure

resolver101
Level 4

We have Backup Exec 2010 SBS and I'm wishing to install Backup Exec for VMWare virtual infrastructure.  Im not sure on the best way to acheive this, can anyone point me in the right direction?

P.s. We have the option to upgrade to backup exec 2012 as we have the subscription/support package

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

This is the AVVI licence needed to backup your ERP server.  You need to install this licence on the media server.  Go to Tools ----> Install Options and Licences to do so.  Follow the dialog and make sure that you select the AVVI option.

You then push out the remote agents to the VM's, not the ESX host.  Go to Tools ---> Install Agents ... to do so.

You can then set up a backup job and select the ESX host to backup all the VM's

You must check with your ERP vendor as to what the recovery plan is.  How do you recover your ERP system?  What VM to restore and in what sequence?

Also, if your ERP system uses things like SQL databases, do you need to restore individual databases?  If you do you would need to buy a BE SQL licence for each VM that has SQL databases.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

lmosla
Level 6

Hi,

What versions of Windows are you running? Take a look at this link to verify that you have the supported environment. http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH135633

pkh
   VIP    Certified

To backup VMware VM's, all you need is to purchase and install 1 AVVI licence per host.  You can add an AVVI licence to your existing BE 2010, but you would not be able to add AVVI licences if you upgrade to the BE 2012 SBE edition.  See these licencing guides.

2010 Licensing Guide

2012 Portfolio Licensing Guide

However, the tricky part is getting the BE 2010 AVVI licences.  I would suggest that you check with Symnantec licencing on what is the best way for you to get the AVVI licences.

Also note that BE requires the vStorage API which is only available  with the licenced versions of ESX.

resolver101
Level 4

Thanks for getting back to me so soon :)

I'm still a little confused.  If I explain a little more of our setup, maybe you could help me more. 

- Symatec 2010 SBS is installed on our Windows 2008 SBS server (Not virtualized - physical box) and has been running our backup for the last 2 years.

- Our ESXI server holds our newly purchase ERP system which has 4 virtual machines.  

Our ERP company (supplier) has given me a lisence which is labelled  "SYMC BACKUP EXEC 2010 AGENT FOR VMWARE VIRTUAL INFRASTRUCTURE WIN PER HOST SERVER BNDL STD LIC EXPRESS BAND S BASIC 12 MONTHS"

I've now been tasked with installing/configuring the backup and im not sure on the best way of achieving this.  Any help? 

Thanks again 

lmosla
Level 6

You should be able to just add the AVVI agent to Backup Exec through Tools > Install Options and License Keys on this Media Server.

and then push out the Remote Agent to your ESX server go to Tools - Install Agents & Media Servers on Other Servers 

pkh
   VIP    Certified

This is the AVVI licence needed to backup your ERP server.  You need to install this licence on the media server.  Go to Tools ----> Install Options and Licences to do so.  Follow the dialog and make sure that you select the AVVI option.

You then push out the remote agents to the VM's, not the ESX host.  Go to Tools ---> Install Agents ... to do so.

You can then set up a backup job and select the ESX host to backup all the VM's

You must check with your ERP vendor as to what the recovery plan is.  How do you recover your ERP system?  What VM to restore and in what sequence?

Also, if your ERP system uses things like SQL databases, do you need to restore individual databases?  If you do you would need to buy a BE SQL licence for each VM that has SQL databases.