cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 SQL Server Agent - how to work ?

Routledge1982
Level 4

I currently use Smantec Backup Exec 11.d to take copys of our 2 business critical SQL databases.

I create a .BAK file of these using the database maintenance plans within SQL Server Enterprise Manager, every night at 7pm, and then use Backup Exec 11.d to store the .BAK files to tape.

I am due to upgrade to Backup Exec 2010 with SQL Server Agent in the next few days, however i cannot find much on user manuals / instructions / guides.

How will i then backup my 2 main databases, in order to restore them on our test server for disaster recovery process?

Is it just a case of launching Backup Exec 2010 with SQL Server Agent , selecting Database 1 and Database 2 within the selections options, and that is the full databases stored? And to restore these to our recovery server, is it again just a case of launching Backup Exec 2010 , clicking restore, and selecting my 2 databases?

sorry if this is a bit confusing,

many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...you'll be able to catalog the tape, but not restore SQL at all as it wouldn't know what to look for.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

CraigV

Hi,

So this is how it works:

1. Load the SQL agent license key onto the media server which unlocks the SQL functionality. It allows BE to see SQL instances and backup/restore to them.

2. Create a new selection list and select the actual SQL instance on a particular server.

Don't use AOFO when backing up the SQL DBs as this will cause issues during backups and/or restores.

For further information, check the TN below on best practices:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO21793   

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Refer to best practices of SQL Agent 

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO21793

For Disaster recovery of SQL server refer to below article.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO24335

Routledge1982
Level 4

thank you very much guys,

can i ask 1 more quick question,

what do you mean exactly by "dont use AOFO when backing up the SQL DBs"?

kind regards

AmolB

AOFO is used to take a backup of open files (files which are accessed by some other application at the time of backup)

AOFO is recommended for flat files not for DB's

CraigV

AOFO = Advanced Open File Option, which is used to back up open files. When used with DB backups, it does tend to cause issues when either restoring or backing up. Rather don't select this with SQL, and let BE use VSS instead...

Routledge1982
Level 4

thank you very much!

going to give it a try tomorrow night.

database 1 is 10gb in size (and takes around 30 mins to backup as a .bak file via SQL server enterprise manager)

database 2 is 195gb in size (and takes around 2 hours to backup as a .bak file via SQL server enterprise manager)

any idea roughly how long it will take to backup via SQL server agent?

last question i promise!

AmolB

Longer then the .bak file backup. 

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Under the hood, when you use the BE SQL agent to backup a SQL database, BE calls the SQL Server API to do the backup.  Likewise, when you do a restore, BE uses the SQL Server API.

Routledge1982
Level 4

thank you so much for your help

can i just check 1 final thing

server 1 will have BACKUP EXEC 2010 with SQL SERVER AGENT INSTALLED

server 2 (disaster recovery server) will have BACKUP EXEC 2010 (no SQL server agent installed)

can i still restore my database backups from server 1 onto server 2, despite it not having the SQL server agent

kind regards

AmolB

To be compliant you need 1 SQL Agent license per SQL server. You need to install the 

RAWS on the SQL server, its the license key which makes difference in the functionality.

So without SQL agent you will not be able to peform restore.

CraigV

...you'll be able to catalog the tape, but not restore SQL at all as it wouldn't know what to look for.

Routledge1982
Level 4

thank you, looks like i need another license then!

ouch pricey!