cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 Services Issues

MTomasco
Level 3

Hello,

Each time I open Backup Exec 2010 Media Server, there is an icon at the bottom of the screen showing the services are stopped. I have ensured all of the Backup Exec related services are started in the Admin Tools, however, still no luck. When I click on the "Restart all services" it shows that they have restarted, however, the local media services status still shows as "Stopped". 

Could this be the reason I am unable to add a new Backup to Disk shared network folder? I receive "The specified network name is no longer available" when I try to configure this Backup to Disk folder.  However, I am able to map out to the folder using Windows Explorer without any problem.

Thanks for your help.

11 REPLIES 11

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

This could be a reason yes. If the BE services aren't started, this leads to all sorts of issues.

Make sure you're using a domain account with admin priviledges if you aren't. You can also make sure the service account isn't locked out.

Otherwise, if you specific errors, post them here...

Thanks!

MTomasco
Level 3

I have done this however when I restart the Backup Exec, the Backup Exec Services Manager - Server Status for the local server for which I have it installed on, still shows a "Stopped" Server Status.  All services restarted successfully.

MTomasco
Level 3

Also shows "Communications are down with the Backup Exec Services. Check to see if Backup Exec Services are running on "servername".

CraigV

...and no AV possibly blocking the services from starting up? Check that, assuming you are running an AV, and if so, put in an exclusion to leave the scanning of the BE services off...

MTomasco
Level 3

Yes, I actually just went ahead and unistalled the AV (Kaspersky) on the machine. Same result...

Lesta_G
Level 6

what do the event logs show? anything?

MTomasco
Level 3

Yes, this is what shows:

The Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Systems service must run under the Local System account, but it is not currently configured for this account. You must change the user account name for the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Systems service to the Local System account, and then restart the service.

However, I thought that it needs to run under an account that has Domain permissions?

I also see this error in the Applications log when I tried to create the Backup To Disk share:

An error occurred while processing a B2D command.
 Changer: CreatePath() CreateDirectory1 failed (\\192.168.1.174\share1\FileArchive\JAX Public\).  Error=64

For more information, click the following link:
http://eventlookup.veritas.com/eventlookup/EventLookup.jhtml

CraigV

Nope...rather let BE set the account that the services use.

Open up BEutility.exe, right-click your server and choose the option to change the service account. Put in your service account details (Domain/user_account) and try again!

MTomasco
Level 3

I have done this which then I applied the Domain Admin account credentials but got the following:

Set server configuration started on list of servers.
Setting configuration info for server: WO181690054.
Failed to update the Backup Exec service account for server WO181690054. Try restarting the Backup Exec services and then try the operation again.
Set server configuration completed with errors.
Set server configuration operation has completed.

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Well you can try to change is manually

Just go to Start>.Run>> Services.msc

When the Windows services window opens set the following

Backup Exec Agent Browser server... Automatic.... Domain\Username

Backup Exec Job Engine Service ..... Automatic.... Domain\Username

Backup Exec Server Service.............Automatic.... Domain\Username

Backup Exec Device and Media service ....Automatic.... Domain\Username

Backup Exec Remote Agent service .....Automatic..... LOCAL SYSTEM ACCOUNT

Ensure that all services are started here. Also as you have not mentioned so I would like to ask if you are also able to see Backup Exec DLO services?? If Yes then are those services started correctly??

Thanks,

-Sush...

CraigV

Hi,

Not sure if the TN will help you at all, but give it a go and see what it can offer:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH59776

Thanks!