cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 Small Business Server - Hyper-V Question

Icelantic
Level 2
Partner
I am looking to see if this is possible. I want to install BE 2010 SBS Edition as the price point it right for the client.

The client has SBS 2008 Premium, installed as a virtual machine using Hyper-V on a Windows 2008 Host. This is per Microsoft's best practice guidelines for installing SBS 2008.

I want to back the server (VM) to tape, which is obviously installed on the physcial Windows Server 2008 box. I would like to include the GRT features that are a powerful selling feature of BE SBS.

I seem to have a conflict, whereby if I install BE 2010 SBS on the VM then it won't see the tape and I understand there might be memory and performance issues. If I install it on the physical host, I suspect I am going to be told it is not a valid Operating System.

If I then cost up doing normal BE 2010 plus the required agents, then the backup software is more than the server hardware and Microsoft software put together!

Any ideas? Is there some new feature(s) that will allow what should be a simple, cost effective deployment?

Thanks,
Duncan.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi,

It isn't a limitation of Backup Exec; rather a limitation of Hyper-V...

if this helped, will you close it off?

Thanks!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Hi,

Backup Exec won't install on the Core version of Windows Server 2008 R2, so that option is out. You won't be able to install your drive on the host as you suspected.
Furthermore, it seems like you can backup to a SCSI tape drive, but that needs to be attached to an iSCSI host.

http://www.petri.co.il/forums/showthread.php?t=30066

The only other option would be to try shoe-horning a smaller server in that solution with enough RAM to run BE 2010, and 2 HDDs. Then connect the drive to that server.

Laters!

Icelantic
Level 2
Partner
That seems to quite a limitation. Guess its time to look to other backup software providers....?

CraigV
Hi,

It isn't a limitation of Backup Exec; rather a limitation of Hyper-V...

if this helped, will you close it off?

Thanks!