cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 + Ubuntu Server 10.10

Paul_P
Not applicable

Hello

I am running 2 (virtual) Ubuntu 10.04 Linux Servers on our (physical) VMWare box (along with several other Windows Server operating systems).

Can someone advise if there is 'any way' that Backup Exec provides a way to backup an Ubuntu Server? Maybe an Ubuntu module? Maybe a snapshot of the whole server itself? (anything to get this backed up like our Windows servers do to our tape drive which go off site each week and can be restored should they ever need to be).

I have started to host websites as well as several web based applications on one of the Ubuntu Servers and if there was a crash/failure/physical disaster tomorrow then I would lose all that data, whereas all the Windows Servers are intergrated with Backup Exec and have daily backups (to our tape loader).

I havent had much time to look into this but i have briefly seen that BE supports to an extent Red Hat (and maybe a few other distros) but not Ubuntu.

Any response would be much appriciated!

Paul P.

PS: we currently run BE 12.5 but have a BE 2010 licence which we are going to install soon.

1 REPLY 1

teiva-boy
Level 6

BE2010 does support Ubuntu, but not your version.  8.x is the past version I see.  I have not checked the SCL for 12.5  

You may be able to use the AVVI agent to backup the VMDK's themselves to move them to disk or tape.  BE will ignore that it's a non-supported OS, and your recovery process will be to restore the entire guest OS back to an ESX host to get what you need.  This *may* work, so install the trial of the AVVI option (dont put in a license key and it'll work for 60 days) and test.  The AVVI option lis licensed per PHYSICAL machine, with unlimited guests, it costs about the same as 3-4 remote agents.  So if you are virtualizing more than 4 guests, it's a no-brainer to buy it.

Alternatively, since BE2010 does support an older version, you can always try to install the RALUS agent on your version and see what happens?  Of course doing it to a test machine and not a production machine ;)

Do all your testing on BE 2010R2 and not 12.5.  The vmware support in 12.5 is not that great, and you'll have to stand up a VCB server :gag: