cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 - What licenses do I need

oskaremil
Level 4
I tried to read the documentation but time is cash and I don't have that time. I also tried to run the License assessment tool but the results turned out to be complete rubbish, the license assessment tool told me that I need:
  • 4 Active Directory Recovery agents - even though I have only two domain controllers and only one of them is set up with System State backup
  • 2 Sharepoint and 1 Lotus Domino licenses - Neither Sharepoint or Domino has ever even been installed on any of my servers
  • 0 Remote Agents: I have RA installed on 4 computers, Be server running in Trial mode, I supposed I needed 4 remote agent licenses then ?

So this brings me to my question,- based on my setup can anyone please advice me on what licenses I need ?
2 Computers running Hyper-V Server
 ** Of all the virtual machines I want to install remote agents on 2 of those to enable AD granular restore and granular restore of files on those
1 Computer running MS SQL Server
1 Computer running BE Media Server (Backup Exec 2010)

My guess is:
5 Remote Agents (two for hyper-v servers, one for sql, two for the virtual machines, and one is already included in the media server license)
1 Hyper-V Agent
1 MS Sql Agent

I don't need Advanced Open File Option as all the servers are running Windows Server 2008 and I use MS VSS writer for snapshots.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Officially the recommendation is 1 ADRA licence per DC, but you can get away with 1 ADRA licence if you can afford to wait for the DC's to sync with each other.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

oskaremil
Level 4

... think I need 1 Active Directory Recovery Agent for the virtual domain controller.

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
2 hyper-v servers - if you want to backup the host hyper-v servers then you need 2 raws for it.
If you want to backup the virtual machines in the hyper-v then you need 1 Hyper v agent.
1 MS sql agent to backup sql and 1 raws need to be installed on SQL server.
2 raws for the vms on which you want grt for AD and 2 license for ADRO as you need it for 2 vm AD.
The twist is that when you purchase database agent you get 1 raws free with each but you can confirm that with licensing if they have not changed anything about it.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
2 hyper-v servers - if you want to backup the host hyper-v servers then you need 2 raws for it.
If you want to backup the virtual machines in the hyper-v then you need 1 Hyper v agent.

Not quite correct.  To backup the host Hyper-V machine, you need 1 Hyper-V agent per machine.  If you want to restore individual files in a virtual machine without having to restore the whole machine first, you need to back it up as if it is a physical machine.  Hence you would need a RAWS licence for each of such machine.  This is on top to the 2 Hyper-V licences.

In addition, you would need the following:

1 full BE licence for your media server

1 ADRA for each of your AD servers, virtual or physical

1 SQL license for your SQL machine which includes 1 RAWS licence.

oskaremil
Level 4
Thank you, one last question:

As my domain is pretty small and with only two domain controllers on the same LAN I am pretty sure that they will always be in sync with eachother, they both have GC and are pretty much clones of eachother. They are DCs for the same domain.

With that in mind I had planned to perform AD (System State) backup of only one of the domain controllers. The second one I am just backing up as an image backup (no granular recovery) via the Hyper-V agent.

Also, I spoke to a reseller about licenses, his reply was that I only needed one ADRA license per domain, not one per domain controller.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Officially the recommendation is 1 ADRA licence per DC, but you can get away with 1 ADRA licence if you can afford to wait for the DC's to sync with each other.