cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 and Flash (block level backup with file restore)

lee_gilchrist1
Level 2
Hi All,

I am running Backup Exec 11d and I am thinking of upgrading to 2010.  however i have a number of file server backups (millions of small files) which takes over 38 hours to compete.  I have previously resolve this type of backup issue with the Advanced Agent on Netbackup 6.5 and using a Flash backup.

Does backup exec have a Agent\Option to do a Flash block level backup or is this type of functionality only available in Netbackup?

Thanks in Advance.

Lee.
5 REPLIES 5

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

You may want to try using the Advanced Open File Option, this will do a snapshot backup of the servers.  That's pretty much the closest thing we have to NetBackup's FlashBackup.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Backup exec perform File system level backup and not block level backup. Using AOFo you can backup the open files

lee_gilchrist1
Level 2
Thanks for that - I thought so.

Please can you confirm.  Is the Advanced open File agent already part of the Agent for Windows Systems already.

I cannot see a unique option for open File Agent on the link below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/products/family.jsp?familyid=backupexec

teiva-boy
Level 6
You can use Storage Foundation FlashSnap for this.  BE has a setting that will leverage this functionality.

You can also use BackupExec System Recovery, which takes a block level backup of the volume.  You can then from within BESR, call be.cmd.exe to pick up the recovery points created in BESR.

But there is nothing native in BE like NBU's Enterprise client functionality.  

pkh
   VIP    Certified
AOFO is part of BE and RAWS.