Backup Exec 2010 and NAS backup

I'm looking at buying a NAS device for backing up our data over fibre to another site. We currently backup to folder on portable usb drives and take these home every night.  Is it just a matter of changing the location in backup exec to the NAS network location? 

The nas device im looking at purchasing is a Qsnap TS 421U 12TB drive.  I've coppied and pasted below what I believe are the key technologies:

iSCSI (IP SAN)

• iSCSI Target with Multiple LUNS per Target (Up to 256 Targets/LUNs Combined)

• LUN Mapping & Masking

• Online LUN Capacity Expansion

• Supports SPC-3 Persistent Reservation

• Supports MPIO & MC/S

• iSCSI LUN Backup, One-time Snapshot, and Restore

• iSCSI Connection and Management by QNAP Finder (Windows)

• Stack Chaining Master: Up to 8 Virtual Disk Drives (via iSCSI Initiator

File System

• Internal HDD: EXT3, EXT4

• External HDD: EXT3, EXT4, NTFS, FAT32, HFS+

Networking:

• Protocols: CIFS/SMB, AFP (v3.3), NFS(v3), FTP, FTPS, SFTP, TFTP, HTTP(S), Telnet, SSH, iSCSI, SNMP, SMTP, and SMSC

3 Replies
Highlighted

Hi resolver101, make sure you

Hi resolver101,

make sure you check the Backup Exec 2010 HCL to verify it is supported and that it will work.   http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH137050

Highlighted

I don't see your NAS in the

I don't see your NAS in the HCL, so it is not supported. You would need to check is functionalities with the B2DTest utility below http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH69107 Are you planning to put your NAS at the remote site and backup over a WAN link to it? If so, note that BE is very sensitive to line quality. Any dropped packets and your job will fail
Highlighted

We dont have the NAS device

We dont have the NAS device in our hands at the moment so cant run the test, we're thinking of purchasing it. 

The fibre link is about a 130 meters long.  The route is from our server room to a building at the opposite side of our site.  Here's the route in terms of equipment:  

Server room in the offices (Gigabit) -> (gigbit) switch (fibre) -> (Fibre) switch (Fibre) ->  (fibre) switch (Gigabit ) -> NAS device (destination)

I've coppied a 600MB file from the backup exec server in our server room to a computer connected to the destination switch and it coppied in about 10 seconds.  Windows reports the transfer rate at about 60 MegaBytes a second.  Hope that gives you some information on speed/equipment/network we have in place. 

Thanks