cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 and NAS backup

resolver101
Level 4

I'm looking at buying a NAS device for backing up our data over fibre to another site. We currently backup to folder on portable usb drives and take these home every night.  Is it just a matter of changing the location in backup exec to the NAS network location? 

The nas device im looking at purchasing is a Qsnap TS 421U 12TB drive.  I've coppied and pasted below what I believe are the key technologies:

iSCSI (IP SAN)

• iSCSI Target with Multiple LUNS per Target (Up to 256 Targets/LUNs Combined)

• LUN Mapping & Masking

• Online LUN Capacity Expansion

• Supports SPC-3 Persistent Reservation

• Supports MPIO & MC/S

• iSCSI LUN Backup, One-time Snapshot, and Restore

• iSCSI Connection and Management by QNAP Finder (Windows)

• Stack Chaining Master: Up to 8 Virtual Disk Drives (via iSCSI Initiator

File System

• Internal HDD: EXT3, EXT4

• External HDD: EXT3, EXT4, NTFS, FAT32, HFS+

Networking:

• Protocols: CIFS/SMB, AFP (v3.3), NFS(v3), FTP, FTPS, SFTP, TFTP, HTTP(S), Telnet, SSH, iSCSI, SNMP, SMTP, and SMSC

3 REPLIES 3

lmosla
Level 6

Hi resolver101,

make sure you check the Backup Exec 2010 HCL to verify it is supported and that it will work.   http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH137050

pkh
   VIP    Certified
I don't see your NAS in the HCL, so it is not supported. You would need to check is functionalities with the B2DTest utility below http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH69107 Are you planning to put your NAS at the remote site and backup over a WAN link to it? If so, note that BE is very sensitive to line quality. Any dropped packets and your job will fail

resolver101
Level 4

We dont have the NAS device in our hands at the moment so cant run the test, we're thinking of purchasing it. 

The fibre link is about a 130 meters long.  The route is from our server room to a building at the opposite side of our site.  Here's the route in terms of equipment:  

Server room in the offices (Gigabit) -> (gigbit) switch (fibre) -> (Fibre) switch (Fibre) ->  (fibre) switch (Gigabit ) -> NAS device (destination)

I've coppied a 600MB file from the backup exec server in our server room to a computer connected to the destination switch and it coppied in about 10 seconds.  Windows reports the transfer rate at about 60 MegaBytes a second.  Hope that gives you some information on speed/equipment/network we have in place. 

Thanks