cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 and SQL Server 2005 SP2

Nanor
Level 2

Hi,

Forgive me if I sound a little out of my depth because I am!  Not too familiar with SQL but an instance has arisen where I am required to upgrade our current provision of Backup Exec 12 to 2010.  Backup Exec is currently installed on Windows Server 2003 x64 SP2 running SQL Server 2005 SP2.

For support reasons we are not currently unable to upgrade SQL Server 2005 to SP3, will there be issues if I attempt the upgrade without upgrading to SP3?

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

There should be no issues. As it is, you'd know before the installation even begins. The installation wizard does an environmental check and reports on anything not supported.

If you check the BE 2010 R3 SCL you'll see SQL 2005 SP2 is currently supported, so you'll have no hassles.

Before proceeding with the upgrade, just stop the BE services and grab a copy of the Data/Catalogs folders in case something goes wrong.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

There should be no issues. As it is, you'd know before the installation even begins. The installation wizard does an environmental check and reports on anything not supported.

If you check the BE 2010 R3 SCL you'll see SQL 2005 SP2 is currently supported, so you'll have no hassles.

Before proceeding with the upgrade, just stop the BE services and grab a copy of the Data/Catalogs folders in case something goes wrong.

Thanks!

Nanor
Level 2

Many thanks for the quick response.  We're currently without an IT manager and I'm in the hotseat, being over cautious before proceeding with any projects!  I'll probably proceed with the upgrade tonight as we upgraded to Exchange 2010 a few weeks ago and are without a valid backup so want BE 2010 in place asap.

thanks again!