cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 and VMware ESXi 4.0 getting to work

Level 3
Partner
How do I connect Backup Exec 2010 to our VMWare ESXi 4.0 server to backup the clients. I am running the Trial version with the VMware option installed.
The Clients are a mix of Linux and Windows servers.
11 REPLIES 11

julian_b
Level 2
you need to configure the vmware agent for backing up the esx server

refer to the admin guide which if you otherwise do not already have is available from here

ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_for_WindowsNT/338514.pdf

if the VMs are running on the SAN/iSCSI ensure that the VCB proxy has access to those san/iSCSI volumes other wise you can setup your backup to work over LAN

Julian

Level 3
Partner
VM's have there own storage. When I installed BE I added the VM option.

When expand the VM in the selection none show.

ejk2010
Level 2
Are you running vSphere 4.0?  Or are you just using VMware ESXi 4.0 as a stand-alone?  You can't use BE if you just running the stand-alone version.  You need at a minimum, the VMware Essentials license.  You need the Storage API's.

ejk2010
Level 2
It is stated in their SLC:

Note: All free versions of ESXi (3.5i and 4i) require a minimum license from VMware in order to be protected by Backup Exec. This is due to the lack of vStorage API for Data Protection support in the free unlicensed versions of ESXi and is a current limitation of VMware.

Level 3
Partner
OK. I have a few of the ESXi 4.0 Free Servers. Exactly what option do I need to purchase.  There are many options from VMware. Thanks for all the help.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
As long as the license you get has access to VMware vStorage API's then it will work.  I believe the Standard license from VMware gives access to the vStorage API's.  Backup Exec uses that option for the backups in BE 2010.

Level 3
Partner
VMware vSphere 4 Essentials Looks like the product. Does all this get loaded on the same server as backup exec.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
There is nothing to install on the Backup Exec server when you purchase Essentials.  They are just going to give you a serial number and you will enter that into vsphere after connecting to the ESXi Server.  Go to the Configuration tab after selecting the hostname, then select licensing.  You will be able to enter the number in there.

squire07
Level 3

where can i obtain or download the vmware agent for backup 2010 for testing purposes?

thanks,

bnwdandy
Not applicable

In the administration guide PDF file, it says on Page 1338, it backups vShpere 4.0, now our company just updated to vShpere 4.1, will it work?

Thanks

teiva-boy
Level 6

Download the latest software compatibility list off the support site to check if it'll work or not.  But you may have to be on BE2010 R2 release in order to support 4.1