Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 can't connect to domain controller in backup selection list

CJACUNAD
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi,

We install Backup Exec 2010 R3 with an account with Domain Admin privileges and some other privileges, with this account we could connect and backup all clients, but for an internal requeriment this original account will remove soon, so we create another one with Domain Admin privileges but with this new one account we are unable to expand or backup the Domain Controller, all other clients has no problems, so what are the account requeriments to backup a Domain Controller ? I already try to uninstall and reinstall the agent but not work, when I try to expand in the backup list selections it requeries another credentials.

We also compare the groups membership of this account and they looks similar, what any other thing we need to look, or what can we do ?.

The Domain Controller run Windows 2008 R2 standart edition.

Thanks for your help 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

To backup a AD, you need to use a BESA which is part of the domain administrator group.  Look at this document to see the requirements for the BESA

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH70860

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

MyLee
Level 4

is it RODC? the be2010R2 not supported well, as far as i know.

could you test on writable DC and be2010 installed on physical server, not vm guest.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

To backup a AD, you need to use a BESA which is part of the domain administrator group.  Look at this document to see the requirements for the BESA

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH70860

CJACUNAD
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi,

I dont really know if is a RODC, I tough this is a Writable DC because it's the primary controller, and the system is a Physical Server it's not a VMachine.

CJACUNAD
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi,

This account is part of the Domain Admin Group, and I have no problem to start service, it sounds near to the policy but Im not quite sure how to change this security item, if it must be applied in the local backup exec server or in the Domain Controller, or in the Active Directory.

CJACUNAD
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi Pkh

After review the document you attached, I found the problem is that the account not belong to the "Logon As a  Batch Job" group of user in the Local Security Policies, because this machine is a Domain Controller I was unable to add the user to the local security policy setting, so I made the change in the "Domain Controllers Default Policy" and reload the gpo with the command "gpupdate /force".

At the end of the process, I tried again to connect to the our DC with the required credentials in the backup list selection and success also the test and backup process ran well.

So thanks for your help.