cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 causes performance issue on VM on XenServer 5.6

Marc_Reiter_2
Level 3

I've got a client that is running Backup Exec 2010 on a physical server backing up to a LTO2 changer.  Their virtual environment is a XenServer 5.6 with a Datacore SanMelody back end running thru iSCSI.

They run a full backup every weekend and it causes issues on their virtual DC. It holds all the shared files, so it's about 1 Tb that is backed up.  It's backing up that server for about 14.5 hours.  While the backup is running, users complain that they lose conenction to the shares and sometimes cannot log in.  Our monitoring system says that it is going up and down for a few hours (monitoring agent not checking in).  Also, I'm seeing a few alerts in the event log from ESENT about requests to write to some files such as dhcp.mdb being delayed.  (events 508 and 510).

I've narrowed it down to the backup causing the issue because I started the backup 5 hours earlier and the alerts came in 5 hours sooner.  I found some issues with BESR and XenServer 5.6, so I tried that fix of downgrading the XenTools on the server to 5.5, but that did not help.

Has anyone else experieced an issue like this or have any suggestions?

Thanks,

- Marc

2 REPLIES 2

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I just confirrmed from the Software Compatibility List (SCL) of Backup Exec 2010 R1 and R2 that Xenserver  5.6 is not supported with BE 2010.

Please refer to the following SCL link if I have missed anything

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH137682 : Backup Exec 2010|2010 R2 Software (SCL)

Thanks,

-Sush...

Marc_Reiter_2
Level 3

Way to keep up to date Symantec.  Only 5.0 is supported?  Does anyone still use that?

Is that the only answer?  Nothing I can try?

Thanks,

- Marc