cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 hold jobs queued

serdar_xp
Level 3

Hi all,

I have a working system in Backup exec 12.5 on Win 2K3. I setup Backup Exec 2010 to a new server with Win 2K8 .  I shared my old server's back-up disk folders and I configured manually all jobs to the new server with network shared back-up disc folder. Then I did catalog old media to new server. I get error ID : E0000900 and E000904 with some catalog files but others were fine.

And also I tried to back up a server and It holds job in queued , When I checked lastly it takes 36 hours and didnt get any bytes. What could cause the problem ?

Thanks.
15 REPLIES 15

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi there,

First things first...I would suggest looking at upgrading to the latest patches for Backup Exec 2010. Try the backup again after the patches have been installed.
You will also need to restart the server, so factor that in...

Laters!

serdar_xp
Level 3

Hi,

I got latest patches, and restarted today :) First thing is already done.
And also I have an improvement about my situation, I didnt know that Backup Exec asking questions in Alerts tab. so I am able to back up my servers.

But I am wondering about old calatog data. How can I be able to restore them? Especially Exchange server is very important for me , when I try to restore from storage group although I did calalog the media, I couldn't see the users' mail . How can I fix this error ?

Thanks

Serdar Karahanoglu

CraigV
Whoa...hang on. What happened when you upgraded?
Did you lose all your data when SQL corrupted?
Do you still have your data?
Did you make a backup of your Catalogs and Data folder? If not, without a backup on tape of the SQL instance for Backup Exec the only way to rebuild your catalogs will be to recatalog all your tapes again. This will rebuild the information on your tapes into your new SQL instance...

serdar_xp
Level 3
Nothing happened, because I did clean installation, there was no data to lose it. My first movement after clean installation is getting updates. then I create backup-to-disk folders and then backup jobs . Then I tried to catalog old servers backups. There wass I got E0000900 and E0000904 Errors. Lastly I tried to back up servers .
Now I am able to back up servers. But I am worrying about old servers backups which I will restore them lately. How do I use them ? 
Note: I dont have losts of servers , so I didnt move SQL DB's. I use some manual effort .

CraigV
You need to inventory your tapes, and then run a catalog. Check under Tools --> Options --> Catalogs and make sure the use storage-based catalogs (I think that is it!) is deselected. Once done, run the catalog...
Can you also post those exact errors?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You can also mirate your old \Catalogs into your new ,media server

What version were you running before?

serdar_xp
Level 3

Hi,

I was using 12.5 in old server, and now new version is 2010.

I got some errors when I tried to backup Exchange Server  : by the way, I bought license for Exchange Server.

Error Code : E00002F7
Backup- \\Exch.tikle.com\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group

V-79-57344-759 - Unable to complete the operation for the selected resource using the specified opti...
Backup- \\Exch.tikle.com\Microsoft Information Store\Second Storage Group
V-79-57344-759 - Unable to complete the operation for the selected resource using the specified opti...

When I look at the restore tab for exchange server I can only find logs file in Storage Group.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
Gut feeling is it is something to do with your share level access to the B2D location - any chance you could copy the B2D contents (including subfolders) to a volume that is mounted on the 2010 server?

Also I am slightly concerned if you shared a B2D folder then the .CFG files for your 12.5 management of the B2D folder will now have been overwritten by  the 2010 versions as you can't really share B2D folders  like that  - no idea what the effect might be - but I would expect problems if you want to use the 12.5 server on that B2D again.

serdar_xp
Level 3

Ok I think I should explain more about my project.
Firstly, Let me tell you about server organization : New server which has BE2010 is a virtual server(running 2008) , and old server (running 2003 ) is a real one and it has 12.5 with  B2D folders locally attached. I shared B2D folders and using domain admin account for both servers and sharings.
If I start to backup and restore succesfully, I am going to format and install 2008 to old one . And then I will no more use backup exec in this old server . That's why I am trying to move BE.

So I dont have any chance to copy B2D contents to new one because of disk volume. And I dont have any problem with user accounts permissions because of the domain admin account. 

When I try to my first backup with new server , It is said that do you want to overwrite Catalogs, and I said yes. Except the exchange server ,all other servers succesfully backed up and restored . But I am still not able to get backup of Exchange Server. Do I need to do something else for Exchange Server ?

Thanks.

serdar_xp
Level 3

Here is my last error : E000FED1

V-79-57344-65286 - To back up Microsoft Exchange Server 2007, you must install the Exchange Management Tools for Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 on the media server. The Management Tools can be installed during a custom install of Microsoft Exchange Server 2007.

V-79-57344-65233 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\Mars.tikle.com\Microsoft Information Store\Second Storage Group". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
Snapshot provider error (0xE000FED1): A failure occurred querying the Writer status.

Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

Writer Name: Exchange Server, Writer ID: {76FE1AC4-15F7-4BCD-987E-8E1ACB462FB7}, Last error: The VSS Writer failed, but the operation can be retried (0x800423f3), State: Failed during prepare snapshot operation (8).

CraigV
Hi,

Did you install the Exchange Management Tools on that server in question?

muna
Not applicable
Hi,
 I am facing problem when taking backup,I m working with symentec 12.5 (with upto date) which is running in 2003 R2.I have stand alone tape drive,when I try to do any task,like Test run or Eject or run backup.whatever it is,it is going to queued always.Until I restart the backup service,Task will be there in queue.Kindly help some to resolve this issue.

Thanks
muna

CraigV
Please open a new forumquery.

Thanks!

ProductPro
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Hi there,

Please review the following article: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH128115

This outlines one cause of that particular error. It is related to anti-virus scanning and the Backup Exec temp folder.

I hope this will help you.

Regards,

ProductPro

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

And you reply to a thread that has  been dead for 6 months because  ?