Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 on Solaris 10 Global Zone failed to backup files

Redmadison
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Hi,

I have a weird issue with two Backup Exec 2010 remote agent for Unix that i installed on two Solaris 10 servers, these servers have zoning, i read a article for best practice for backing up Solaris with zones and I apply them. It explain that I have to install the RALUS on the Global zone with root user and from the global zone i can select the folder and files from the others zones that I want to backup.

These is the issue.

I have to backing up several folder that are in a non-global zone, i created a selection list of the server i want, i established the credential of the root account to logon to the global zone of the server, i searched for the folder "[ROOT]/root/zones/zOraMtier (name of the non-global zone)/root/u01/", i selected the folder and files i want to backup and i saved the selection list with a name, so far everything normal, i create a backup job using these selection list with a custom schedule.

The job run succesfully for about 2 month, suddenly the backup jobs started to failed, I verified to the job log and said "Access Denied", the password and the permission of the root account are the same. I verify the selection on the selection list for the job, and I realase that I can't see anything after "[ROOT]/root/zones/zOraMtier (name of the non-global zone)/root/" so i can't see the folder and files i select before.

Troubleshoot:

I restarted all services on the Backup Exec server, restarted the VRTSralus.init services on the remote server, recreated the selection list, reinstalled the RALUS agent, restarted the servers and nothing.

I don't have any more workaround ideas.

Can anyone help me please.

Best Practices for having Backup Exec 12.x for Windows Servers and RALUS (Remote Agent for Linux \ Unix Servers) install and protect Solaris 10 servers with Zones

Details:

This document deals with the RALUS agent (Remote Agent for Linux Unix Servers), as there are no changes to the Backup Exec for Windows media server if Solaris zones are present.  While RALUS can be installed and made to work in various configurations with regards to Solaris 10 and zones, the following are considered "best practice".

RALUS should be installed into the default or GLOBAL zone.  Other zones can be setup to use a different and more restrictive "root" account.  By being installed to the GLOBAL zone. RALUS along with the true root account, would be able to backup any and all zones rather than be limited to a particular zone.  Backups and restores then could be done on a per zone basis or per the entire server.  Restores would also be possible as redirected across zones, if needed.

All other considerations for installing and use of RALUS, would be the same if zones were or were not present.  These would include type of backup, frequency, verification, accounts used to authenticate and run backups and restores and so forth.

There should only be one installation of RALUS on the server, and it should be in the GLOBAL zone.  With zones it is possible to have multiple installations of RALUS on a single server.  The problem with that is that the installation might be confused one for another when creating jobs, checking resources available and troubleshooting.  There would also be a risk of two installations trying to run at the same time accessing the same data, due to how certain mount points are configured.

The only time that RALUS should be considered for installation into a non-GLOBAL zone, would be if backup ability was to be limited to a slice or single zone within the server for some security reasons.  However, in this case RALUS using that zone's root account and not the true global root, would only see that particular zone.  Thus the concern would be, that is something were to happen with files in other zones or on the default (Global) system, they would not have been backed up.  After some time it might be assumed that as RALUS is installed on server XYZ (server name), that it is fully protected, when due to the zone, it in fact may not be.

0 REPLIES 0