cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 on Windows 2008R2 Server with sas attached Quantum Superloader 3

avalanche
Level 3

Hi,
I'm having major problems with a Quantum SuperLoader 3 (LTO-4) connected via SAS interface (LSI SAS3801X), everything appears to be fine, autoloader and drives are detected in windows and Backup Exec 2010. however while the verification of my backed up data is running the job just die, Backup Exec tell me that it cannot communicate with the hardware and i get 1 warning message in the eventlog (ID 129):
Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued.

Followed by an error (ID 11):
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\RaidPort0.

After that it repeat the sequence once and then there's no more errors apart from LiveUpdate which never seem to be able to run without re-register it with beupdate. I've started a case with Quantum regarding this issue and i've switched the machine twice however the first switch where due to a faulty tape drive. Quantum tell me that there's nothing wrong and that everything should work and that i have to open a case with Symantec, which i've done and got help with etablishing the problem which seems to be hardware related. I'm stuck, have anyone of you experienced the same problems or anything like this?

Also the 'new' rma unit i got last week from Quantum have 18 slots, however only the right library is detected so i'm only able to use 8 slots at the moment.

I'm using the following setup:
Windows 2008R2 Server (64bit)
LSI SAS3801X, Sas adapter
Quantum Superloader 3 LTO-4
2M SFF8088 cable (The adapter max is 3M)
Symantec Backup Exec 2010
4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi there,

Are your drivers updated? Symantec released new drivers at the end of February 2010.
What you can also do, is completely remove the autoloader from your system.
Steps to do:

1. Go into Backup Exec --> Devices, and delete your device.
2. Go to Device Manager in Windows, and do the same thing (robotics and drive).
3. Once done, turn both the server and the autoloader off, and disconnect the autoloader.
4. Start up the server, let it boot into Windows, and then check in Device Manager that the autoloader does not show.
5. Shut down the server, connect the autoloader and start it up, giving it 1 minute to finish initialising.
6. Start up the server. Once the OS has loaded, go into Backup Exec again, and run the Device Configuration Wizard.

Other things to check are that the cables are securely connected, that you don't have a faulty SAS cable, and that the cable isn't perhaps connected to a SAS card hosting the HDDs as well. I know it isn't supported with SCSI, but I am not overly sure about the SAS version.

Laters!

avalanche
Level 3
Thank you for your response. I've tried everything above still nothing. I've got 2 seperate sas cards, the internal card handle the hdds and does not have any external connectors.

Cheers!

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Come right here?

Lew_johnson
Level 2

Hello,

Has this problem been solved?  I am having the identical problem with the exception that the server is running W2K3.  I was running 11D with no issues and upgraded to 2010 R2 which brought this problem with it.   Per Quantum I re flashed the LSI card to run in I/T mode not RAID.  This made no difference.  The machine has 2 additional Quantum library's attached via 2 Adaptec SCSI cards.  No problems so far on the other devices.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Lew