cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010, problem with restoring Exchange 2007 from tape

al_kalinin
Level 2

Hi, everyone!

I've upgraded me Backup exec from 12.5 to 2010 and now getting in troubles with restoring items of Exchange 2007 from tape. I receive an error message:

"e000846b - The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent. Make sure that the correct version of the Remote Agent is installed and running on the target computer. If the server or
For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33899"

I performed all the recomendations, installed all updates on BE, Exchange Agent on the Exchange server and system account is all right.

I have successfully restored items from the disk, but with the tape it is still the troubles.

BE 2010 is installed on Windows Server 2003, Exchange 2007 is installed on Windows Server 2008.

Have anyone meet this problem and could give me an advice what should I do?

9 REPLIES 9

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Is the backup you are trying to restore created with BE 12.5 or 2010 ?

And what is the agent version on the exchange server ?

al_kalinin
Level 2

backup is created with 2010, and I've updated all the remote agents, so their version is recent

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If you duplicate the tape set back to disk and then restore from the duplicated disk set - does it work?

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Can you try to implement the two fixes mentioned at solution 2 and solution 3 in this article:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH64095

Update the MAPI/CDO objects and install the same exchange servicepack / hotfixes on your media server as on the exchange server.

al_kalinin
Level 2

Colin Weaver - yeah, that way it works fine, items are restored, but directly from the tape - no.

ZeRoC00L - I performed all the recomendation and no success. I don't think it's something with account rights - because as I mentioned, it works with restoring from the disk.

KKolttoogy
Not applicable

We have the exact same issue with BE 2010 R2 and Exchange 2003 on Windows Server 2003.  I've been working with Symantec tech support for a week with no luck.  They finally hooked me up with their advanced tech support team, today.  I left a call back voice mail with them two hours ago, but still no reply.  I will let you know if we ever discover a solution.

MicroWorks
Level 3

I'm having the same issue ... any luck?

MicroWorks.

rmeyer
Level 2

I have Exchange 2007 on Windows 2003 and Backup Exec 2010 R2 on Windows 2008. I can do a backup of exchange. I cannot run a Granual Restore from Tape or from VTL.  If I restore the tape to disk, then the Granual Restore works.

When restoring from Tape...

Error - V-79-57344-33899 - The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent.

I have an open case with support, but no solution yet.

I agree with above that this issue is not a permissions problem.

Please post the solution if one is available.

rmeyer
Level 2

Symantec Support has confirmed this is a known issue.

Tech Support gave the following URL for their explanation. They said we can use the subscribe feature on the page to receive an update when the fix is available.  From reading it, it does not sound like a fix will be released until the next major revision of the product.

Their official work around is to duplicate the backup set from Tape to Disk and then run the granular restore from disk.

Here is the link: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH144765