cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 r2 -1 server - Backup Plan

Phenicie
Level 2

I feel like this is a very simple scenario, but i am new to this scene so i do not want to over look anything. I am looking to gain as much knowledge to customize my backup and make recovery as easy as possible.

I have one server for a small buisness. This server hosts Active Directory, FTP / File Server, Hyper-V server hosting Exchange 2010.

The server has a raid configuration equaling 1tb in storage.

I just purchased :
- external harddrive w/ raid configuration equaling 1.5tb in storage.
- Backup Exec 2010 r2
    -Hyper-V Add on
    -Exchange Server Add on.

My thoughts so far are :
- Monthly - Complete Image (Save for 2 Weeks)
- Weekly - Full (Save for 2 Weeks)
- Daily - Differential (Save for 2 weeks)

Can you please offer input on this strategy? Is this two many copies of the same data? Am i missing something?

Also I am trying to understand, will i install the Exchange Add-on on the virtual server and the server and hyper-v addon on the host OS? Reading the admin guide for Hyper-V i found this

"New
in Backup Exec 2010, granular recovery of a Guest virtual machine application such as Exchange, SQL and
Active Directory, may also be achieved without running a second pass backup of the application inside of the
virtual machine.
"

To me that makes it sound that i do not need the exchange add on, is that correct?

Any details or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I also have the administrator guides that i am reffering to. I also like to gain insight from individuals who use this software regularly for a better understanding.

Thank you in advance for any information you may be able to pass along.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You would install BE on the physical host and install the licences for Hyper-V and Exchange in BE itself.  You then push out the BE remote agent to all the VM's on this physical host.  Once you have done this, you can just backup the entire VHD for the VM's.  You can then do GRT restore from this backup, i.e., you can retire individual files/folders or mailboxes.  If you do not have an Exchange Agent licence, then you cannot do GRT restore of Exchange mailboxes from your VHD backup.

I don't know what is the difference between your full image and your full backup, but your backup scheme is do-able provided you have sufficient disk space.  One thing to note is that if you are saving your backups onto the same disk used by your server then it is not backup.  If your disk crashes, then both your server and backups are gone.  You should always save your backup onto something which will survive a server crash.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You would install BE on the physical host and install the licences for Hyper-V and Exchange in BE itself.  You then push out the BE remote agent to all the VM's on this physical host.  Once you have done this, you can just backup the entire VHD for the VM's.  You can then do GRT restore from this backup, i.e., you can retire individual files/folders or mailboxes.  If you do not have an Exchange Agent licence, then you cannot do GRT restore of Exchange mailboxes from your VHD backup.

I don't know what is the difference between your full image and your full backup, but your backup scheme is do-able provided you have sufficient disk space.  One thing to note is that if you are saving your backups onto the same disk used by your server then it is not backup.  If your disk crashes, then both your server and backups are gone.  You should always save your backup onto something which will survive a server crash.

Phenicie
Level 2

Thank you very much for your insight!