cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 r3 Encryption Questions

CA443
Not applicable

When encrypting backup exec tape, the encryption requires a passphrase but I believe it is also tied to the user, so a quick scenario based question.

Backing up two servers, a domain controller and a file server.

Backup exec user is a service account  DomainXYZ\backupservice  is the user.  I will use the service account (tied to AD) and a password to encrypt the tapes (and set it to common not restricted).

If I lose AD, and need to restore AD as well as the File server, and since I lost AD lost I would lose that service account, would I still be able to retrieve the encrypted data?

Thanks,

2 REPLIES 2

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

In my opinion you should be able to retrive the date since:

1. You have the correct password for the encrypted tape

2. The accound used during the backup was not set to restricted.

So, as long as the catalogs are intact and the data on tape is good, you should be able to restore.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It does not matter whether the encryption key is created with a common or restricted account on the first media server.  All you need to restore the encrypted media on the second server is the passphrase.  The id that created the encryption key used to encrypt the media does not come into play on the second media server.

On the second media server, all you need it the passphrase.  When you try to use an encrypted media on the second server, you would be prompted for the passphrase.  Once, you reply to the prompt, the job wil continue.  You can also use the passphrase to create an encryption key, using any login id.  This will eliminate the passphrase prompt, unless you are using another id and the encryption key creation id is a restricted one.