Physical server

Backup job backs up:

1. local C:
  2. local System state
  3. local Shadow copy
  4. A 2003 domain controller using agent
  5. File shares on 3 machines using no  agent
  6. vmware VMs using agent

MS Event log says "The previous system shutdown at 10:27:12 a.m. on 13/07/2011 was unexpected."

The only recent change to the backup job was to use the VM backup agent.

The crash appears to happen when the verify is verifying the local c: drive backup

Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Lesta_G
Level 6

Solution1 - Job not finishing

A bug in upgrade from R1 to R3 or a feature added in R3
There is an alert to say "remove tape from drive and click OK"
Check your alert categories and modify the "Media Remove" to automatically clear alert to say 1 minute. This will stop the job from appearing to not finish

ETA: in R1 if you have this un-ticked the job will still complete. In R3 you must either accped the allert manually or set it to automatically clear at a certain time

Solution 2 - VM with "The operation is not allowed in the current state"

Just try a reboot of the VM in question.

There is this technote from VMWare, but I resolved the problem with a VM reboot

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102770...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Are you using BE 2010 R3?  If not, you should upgrade to R3.  It fixes a lot of problems.  Your existing licence keys will work.  You can download R3 from either the fileconnect site or www.backupexec.com

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Verify doesn't mean checking the backedup data against the original data. BE will check for the data intigrity on the media, whether the data written to the media is readable or not. So, there may be some other reason for server restart.

Is it happened just once or during every backup operation? 

Regards...

Lesta_G
Level 6

Thanks for the replys 

It is happening every day (a daily backup)  . so far two days in a row. prior to that the old bakup job was reliable. I created a new backup job from scratch and put the old one on hold.

A bit more research also found that VMware VSphere 4.1 and higher needs R2 or higher....

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH137682&key=15047

and I just changed the backup to backup 3.5 and 4.1 VMs  via the BE VMWare Infrastructure agent 
I have just found out that I am using R1 (new job), so I will upgrade to R3 first

thanks again for the prompt replies.

Lesta_G
Level 6

Ok , Updated to 2010 R3 with all live updates.

I currently have 2 VMs out of 50 that wont quiesce

1) (3.5 VM) "Cannot create a quiesced snapshot because the create snapshot operation exceeded the time limit for holding off I/O in the frozenvirtual machine"
2) (4.1 VM) "The operation is not allowed in the current state"

All using VM tools VSS currently, and yes I know symantec recommends their VSS.

But my issue is more that the backup hangs, which it didn't do at R1 (with all hotfixes). At R1 it just errored saying the VMs did not quiesce - error E0009574

It has be 1:15hrs since the last VM backed up with the two troublesome VMs "pending" in the BE activity log . any suggestions? (apart from getting the VMs to backup sucessfully) I am going to leave it for 2 more hours in the hope it will time out...

ETA: Oh and when I mean hangs , the job hangs on cancel as well. It says cancel pending... and after half an hour i get bored and have to stop the BE services, which takes forever....I end up killing the bengine.exe....

Lesta_G
Level 6

Solution1 - Job not finishing

A bug in upgrade from R1 to R3 or a feature added in R3
There is an alert to say "remove tape from drive and click OK"
Check your alert categories and modify the "Media Remove" to automatically clear alert to say 1 minute. This will stop the job from appearing to not finish

ETA: in R1 if you have this un-ticked the job will still complete. In R3 you must either accped the allert manually or set it to automatically clear at a certain time

Solution 2 - VM with "The operation is not allowed in the current state"

Just try a reboot of the VM in question.

There is this technote from VMWare, but I resolved the problem with a VM reboot

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102770...

Lesta_G
Level 6

yup after upgrading to R3 (and current hotfixes) the server still reboots on verify.

happy happy joy joy

Windows 2003 Standard Edition SP2

Any suggestions greatfully accepted....