cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 server service crashing after daily SQL BKUPEXEC database backup runs

Jon_Hicks
Level 3
Partner
Every day at 4am, immediately after the local Backup Exec database backup completes, the backup exec server process crashes with the following event in the application event log:

Event ID: 1000

Faulting application beserver.exe, version 13.0.2896.0, time stamp 0x4b173f02, faulting module MSVCP80.dll, version 8.0.50727.4053, time stamp 0x4a5938bd, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x000000000002ba5c, process id 0x%9, application start time 0x%10.

backupexec-crash.png

Operating System is Windows Server 2008 64bit.

29 REPLIES 29

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Every day at 4am Backup Exec Daily Maintanance process backups up the SQL Database of Backup Exec. Try to change the Daily Maintanance schedule in Tools-->Options->Maintanance

Jon_Hicks
Level 3
Partner
I suspect the daily maintenance is causing the crash... but I've done as you've suggested and changed the time. I've also told it to run a consistency check on the database. I'll see how it goes...

Jon_Hicks
Level 3
Partner
Still got the same problem. Application error immediately after the daily maintanance takes place.

Kurt_ABC
Not applicable
 I have exactly the same problem.
After daily maintenance beserver.exe crashes.

Strange thing is, I did a clean install of 6 new servers, only two servers exhibit these crashes.
The others work fine.

Up till now I wasn't able to find a significant difference between the different servers.
Exactly the same hardware (blade servers), exactly the same drivers, same SAN tape library.

I will keep on searching.

harliquin
Level 3
Partner
I'm also seeing these issues, on a fresh install of 2010 on Server 2008 R2.
At 4am, straight after maintenance, beserver crashes.

Has anyone got any updates to this?

joup
Level 2
Partner

I also got this exact problem. Every night at 4am (right after db maintanance) the beserver.exe crashes.

Running Windows Server 2008 x64 with SP2. BE2010 install with all avalible hotfixes (339930 and 345316) is an in-place-upgrade from BE12.5 SP3 in our case.

Really need a solution for this!

SBSIT
Level 3
I have the same problem. on a fresh install of the release version 2010 on a Win 2K3 SP2 server fully patched and with SP2 reinstalled.
In my logs I get a maintenance task start, then a memory dump, then a Dotnet error. After a server restart I also get a BE server service restart during the BE database connection log entries.

I have proved it by changing the time to run the maintenance job, in Tools\Options\Database Maintenance, to 2 minuites ahead, close BE log off the server. When I log back in and open the BE console I get a login prompt which wont accept any login credentials. Only a server re-start enables me to open the console.
If there are any backup jobs running when the DB task runs they crash and the BE server goes to sleep.

My work around:-
  Disable the database maintenance task :- Tools\Options\Database Maintenance  and uncheck the Enable Database maintenance task box.

Let your jobs run and when convenient re-enable the task set the time 2-3 minuites ahead, let the task run, reboot the server, log in to the console and turn off the enable database maintenance task again.

This is not an acceptable solution to the problem nor even an acceptable workaround. Lets hope we get a resolution soon
  I am however glad to see it occours on such a range of OS's. It does prove that it's not just my server thats the problem

harliquin
Level 3
Partner
Does anyone have an update to this? Still having this issue.
Any Symantec employees lurking about?

STRGER
Level 3

1) made an inplace upgrade on two servers (12.5->2010): w2k8 64bit was ok, w2k3 reported Application Error with bemig.exe and MSVCR80.DLL
2) made a deinstallation of bexec on w2k3 and fresh installation of 2010 -> ok
3) created new jobs, ...
4) get everyday:  Faulting application beserver.exe, version 13.0.2896.0, stamp 4b174069, faulting module msvcr80.dll, version 8.0.50727.4053, stamp 4a594c79, debug? 0, fault address 0x000149d1.

Seems to me both things (installation problem and daily crash) have to do something with this .net dll

Dmitriy_Anderso
Level 2

The BE 2010 services crash every night at 4:05 am, right after the maintanance starts.

The OS is Windows Server 2008 x64 

fiNal
Level 4
And one more having exactly this problem on a clean server 2008 r2 x64, server is a hp proliant dl360 g6 with intel e5530.

i find it a bit funny how symantecs newly introduced "features and supports" tend to work. here's a short list from personal experience:
- BE 12.5 introduced support Exchange 2007 GRT Backupts & Recoveries. After spending about 10 hours on the phone with a symantec senior technician, he figured out that we'd have a "dns problem" and should open a call with MS to fix it. I protested to no avail. We didn't open a call with MS or changed anything on our DNS config. Magically, Exchange 2007 GRT Backups started working after BE 12.5 SP1 came out ... Thanks Symantec for fixing our DNS problems with a Service Pack for Backup Exec !!!

And now, BE 2010 "fully" supports Server 2008 R2 ... Yet:
- beremote crashes if you have exchange 2010 on a server 2008 and try to backup both the machine and the information store (read this forum)
- AVVI-Agent backups of virtual Server 2008 r2 always end with a warning, because server 2008r2 creates a "system partition" of 100MB during setup, which cannot be handlet by AVVI GRT
- AD Application GRT Backup in AVVI fails on DCs with Server 2008 R2
- A little design flaw with AVVI GRT for SQL Server, because it cannot handle Databases with the Full Recovery Model as no Log-Backups are possible.
- And last but not least, BE2010 Server crashes after DB maintenance on Server 2008 R2.

Apparently, this is what "fully supported" looks like. I'm tired of opening a call with Symantec support. I won't spend another ten hours on the phone, so our DNS problems get fixed by the next Symantec Patch again.

I find it most sad that those seem to be issues which you definitely would notice if you'd just test the software for some time. I also don't think that Symantec isnt/wasn't aware of those issues during release. They just prefer to ignore it and delay support calls until a Service Pack comes out.

STeve_O
Level 5
Please log a case with technical support

Backup Exec Server Service terminates during/after the Backup Exec internal Database Maintenance has run.

The Backup Exec Database Maintenance is by default scheduled to run at 4am every day.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/346881.htm

B0bFish
Level 2
OK....another one. Same happening here.

Logged a case with support. They had me un install ALL the .Net framework components, reboot and perform a Win update to put the .Net bits back.

Guess what.........still doing the same.

I will log another case and point the support rep to these posts.

SystemsAdminAS
Level 5
Folks,

Looks like you're using BE 2010? (version 13?) - we're using BE 12.5 with Server 2003 R2, so this may not be of help, but I was having a similar issue for awhile - Eventually, the issue was one or more of a number of reasons:

(1) Microsoft LTO4 tape drive drivers had been installed via MS update - issues arose until going back to OEM drivers that came with the unit.  Backups were intermittently failing until this was corrected.
(2) Originally Installed BE's db instance using SQL Server standard (which we had running already).  Could not update Sql Server to SP3 (amidst other problems).  This was corrected by uninstalling BE's SQL Server instance, installing SQL Server Express alongside Standard, and running its instance on express edition on the same server.
(3) We're running DLO as well as remote agents for network backups, and updates were not populating via the push tools on the BE server.  Had to manually update each affected client to at least SP3 until updates were then pushable from the main server.

Because of a combination of the above, BE services would typically stop every night after backups / maintenance (as well as event log errors as you describe with beserver.exe failing).  Correcting these three issues (and clean-reinstalling BE) has corrected this - no service drops since 2009.  I shoudl add that this server is also running WINS / DHCP / WSUS / IIS / DNS and a few other minor services, and is current as of today with Microsoft updates.

Kanaklata_Jani
Level 2
Employee Accredited Certified

The problem may be related to the System locale and User locale in the Regional Language settings on the Backup Exec server. The following technote has been updated to reflect  a newer workaround. Please try the new workaround and verify if it helps resolve the issue

http://support.veritas.com/docs/346881

B0bFish
Level 2
Slightly alarming issue:

Was asked to run VXGather by a Symantec support representative. I wondered why the files collected approached 3Gb, so I delved into the cab file. VXGather had also 'gathered' all the files from the root of the c: drive. Including the zip of the BackupExec 2010 install I'd downloaded from Symantec. It had also gathered the various batch files I use to start and stopservices easily.

Would someone else care to test if VXGather shipped with backup exec 2010 also gathers non-Symantec files from the root of c:?

Russell_Cobley
Level 3
I have the same issue. Running Windows 2003 SBS and a clean install at Backup Exec 2010 Small Business Suite rev. 2896,with hotfix 340433 (only update available).

The Backup Exec Server service stops when the database maintenance runs. Whilst the service can be set to restart, this is no good if a job is running! I have confirmed the database maintenance is the cause, by changing the start time from 04:00 to 07:00 - that fault follows this change. Also with the database maintenance disabled I have no problem.

I will be following the advice in Document ID: 346881 and will post an update when I find out if it fixes thise new "feature"!

Russell_Cobley
Level 3
Ok, I have run through Document ID: 346881 my server's Regional Setings all all set to United Kingdom in all available places. So I can now only be guided by Option B in the support article that states to set the service recovery to restart on a failure (done this already). Symantec then go on to state the usual disclaimer as follows:

Symantec Corporation has acknowledged that the above-mentioned issue is present in the current version(s) of the product(s) mentioned at the end of this article. Symantec Corporation is committed to product quality and satisfied customers.

This issue is currently under investigation by Symantec Corporation. Pending the outcome of the investigation, this issue may be resolved by way of a patch or hotfix in current or future revisions of the software. However, this particular issue is not currently scheduled for any release. If you feel this issue has a direct business impact for you and your continued use of the product, please contact your Symantec Sales representative or the Symantec Sales group to discuss these concerns. For information on how to contact Symantec Sales, please see  http://www.symantec.com

I hope a hotfix is released for this issue very soon as I see it as a major flaw in the software.

joup
Level 2
Partner
This work-around did not work for us - we already got matching system locales ("Swedish (Sweden)"). "Work-around B" works ofcourse, but it's not a pretty solution. Still got the same problem med crashing Backup Exec Server-service after each maintenance run.