cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 won't install on Windows 2008 Standard edition

n_sanford
Level 3
Hi

I'm trying to load backupexec 2010 on a windows 2008 standard edition server. I click the install button and nothing happens. I disabled the UAC and rebooted, but still nothing happens when I click on the install button. Please help
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

b2com
Not applicable
I had the exact same problem yesterday. I was in touch with Symantec support on phone for hours. Finally I found an article on Symantec's web-site that fixes the issue. They just posted it on May 27 at 11:55 PM. Here's the link-
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/354944.htm
. Very easy fix . This problem will happen if you have Terminal services installed on the Win 2008 server box. GOOD LUCK everybody 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

SymTechie
Level 4
Employee Certified
I guess the installables for the BE are corrupt. I would request you to please go to the www.backupexec.com and on the right hand side you will find the trialware. Please download the trialware for "Backup Exec 2010" and try installing with these new installables and see if that works. If not please check the logs directory in c:\Programsdata\symantec\backup exec for any logs generated there. Also please try to run the setup.exe from your installables in "WinNT\Install\BE"

n_sanford
Level 3
I tried  what you suggested, but still can not get it to install. Now it will run through the setup process, but at the last step it will fail.

SymTechie
Level 4
Employee Certified
Hi there

I need some description about the issue. The error message atleast to know why that is failing. Please try and find out the BKUPINST.HTM in the "C:\PROGRAMSDATA\SYMANTEC\BACKUP EXEC\LOGS" check that log file for errors. Also please try attaching that file here if possible so that I may analyse it.

b2com
Not applicable
I had the exact same problem yesterday. I was in touch with Symantec support on phone for hours. Finally I found an article on Symantec's web-site that fixes the issue. They just posted it on May 27 at 11:55 PM. Here's the link-
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/354944.htm
. Very easy fix . This problem will happen if you have Terminal services installed on the Win 2008 server box. GOOD LUCK everybody 

SymTechie
Level 4
Employee Certified
You may find the BKUPINST.LOG in the directory C:\Documents and settings\All users\application Data\Symantec\Backup Exec\Logs or if it is a windows 2008 machine you may find it at C:\Programs data\symantec\Backup exec\Logs. Please make sure the hidden files or folder is not checked in the folder options view.