Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010R2 hung when backup System State

Qinglong
Level 2

Server: HP ML370G6 with LTO4

Backup Exec Version: Backup Exec 2010R2 with newest updates

Problem: When running a scheduled differential bakup job (local bakup), backup exec just hung there. Job state is active, but Byte Count is stopped and Job Rate is getting slower while Elaped Time is increasing. When I try to cancle the job, it stays Cancle Pending untill I restart backup exec services. Problem happened after I installed sp1 of windows. Before everything was fine.

I've tried several methods,like restart server, use command 'dism /online /cleanup-image /spsuperseded. But they didn't work.

Please help! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

There are a lot of reasons for VSS failures.  Upgrading to R3 will eliminate some of them

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified
I would suggest that you upgrade to BE 2010 R3 which is the latest version and contains a lot of fixes for system state problems. Your existing licence keys will work.  You can download BE 2010 R3 from either the fileconnect site or

http://trialware.norton.com/files/fc/Backup_Exec_2010_13.0.5204_MultiPlatforms_Multilingual_DVD.iso

After your upgrade, do not forget to run LiveUpdate a couple of time to update it to SP2 and the latest hotfixes.

After you have upgraded to R3, push out the remote agent again.

Qinglong
Level 2

Thanks for pkh's reply!

I'm downloading R3, but I saw some people in the forum said that they also face the similar problem when they are using BE 2010 R3...

What actually the reason is of this problem? 

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Check the status of the VSS writers during the backup... There may be errors logged in the event viewer when backup hangs...Check if any services get restarted or stop.

Qinglong
Level 2

There are no errors but some information as follows:

VSS 8219

Ran out of time while expanding file specification \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy10\Windows\softwaredistribution\Download\2de1113994853...*.*.  This was being done for the WUA subscriber.

Operation:
   OnPostSnapshot event
   PostSnapshot Event

Context:
   Execution Context: Shadow Copy Optimization Writer
   Execution Context: Writer
   Writer Class Id: {4dc3bdd4-ab48-4d07-adb0-3bee2926fd7f}
   Writer Name: Shadow Copy Optimization Writer
   Writer Instance ID: {c5e74414-5298-42a5-9072-64831e4a9aad}

VSS 8220

Ran out of time while deleting files.

Operation:
   OnPostSnapshot event
   PostSnapshot Event

Context:
   Execution Context: Shadow Copy Optimization Writer
   Execution Context: Writer
   Writer Class Id: {4dc3bdd4-ab48-4d07-adb0-3bee2926fd7f}
   Writer Name: Shadow Copy Optimization Writer
   Writer Instance ID: {c5e74414-5298-42a5-9072-64831e4a9aad}

pkh
   VIP    Certified

There are a lot of reasons for VSS failures.  Upgrading to R3 will eliminate some of them