cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010R3/Linux RALUS weird double names revisited again

voltage
Level 2

I found a couple of other threads discussing this issue but I didn't want to necrobump:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/weird-double-names-restore-dialog

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/weird-double-names-restore-dialog-revisited

We're having the exact same problem, of course, but the twist is that we have some servers that have this issue and some that do not.  All client servers are running Ubuntu 10.04 x64. The Backup Exec server is a 2008R2 box with BE 2010R3 on it (no service pack yet). 

We know that Ubuntu 10.04 is technically not supported, but it has always worked for us before.  We know that the key here is that the servers are not all updated to the same level.  They all have the same kernel (2.6.32-21-server), and all of the servers were running VRTSralus 13.0.2896 before I started messing around, but there are other differences...

If you check /etc/issue, the servers that display the restore dialog properly are either 10.04.1 or 10.04.2, while the ones that do not are 10.04.3 and 10.04.4 - these have been installed from newer ISOs and/or updated to fix other issues we've had...

Obviously there are a great number of packages installed on the servers and it's not exactly simple for us to mass downgrade them, but what kind of dependencies does VRTSralus have?  "apt-cache show vrtsralus" didn't show any dependencies like other packages do.  The only thing we know for sure is, of course, that beremote requires libstdc++5, and all machines have libstdc++5 3.3.6-17. 

I've tried a few different ralus versions on the affected machines - 13.0.2896, 13.0.5204, and I even tried downgrading one rig to BE12.5's VRTSralus (12.5.2213) with no success (though all clients "work" except for the restore dialog part).  There must be some package that has to stay under a given version for the existing clients to work properly, right?  I'm pretty sure I can provide the output of a working and broken rig's complete dpkg listing if anyone wants to see it.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

3 REPLIES 3

Tushar_H_
Level 2
Employee

This issue is not caused by any particular package otherwise it would have broken the functionality of backing up Linux Server.

As you know Ubuntu 10.04 is not supported with BE 2010 R3. Corrupted Catalogs may cause such issues. You can try re-creating Catalogs and see if that works. You can also try upgrading to BE version that supports Ubuntu 10.04.

voltage
Level 2

Hmm, you had my hopes up there with the corrupt catalog idea.  Recreating the catalogs on yesterday's daily backup unfortunately didn't help, though.  The data appears to be there if I want to restore it (In fact, I have restored stuff from one of these affected hosts before, it's just a total pain to find what you're looking for, and I certainly don't want this to affect any of our permanent archives).

As I said, this issue only happens against servers that are more up to date - and always, I should add.  Surely there's something the client servers are doing that's causing the catalogs to corrupt in the first place... And certainly RALUS has dependencies other than libstdc++5 right?  Perhaps it's just not explicitly checking for any of them (actually, the deb doesn't even check for libstdc++5, either, now that I think about it)?

We would be interested in updating to BE2012 if it supported Ubuntu 12.04.  I believe it doesn't because of the 3.x kernel - 11.04 is the latest in the BE2012 SCL - that still uses a 2.6 kernel, to my knowledge.

Unless anyone has any other solution, it looks like we'll be moving data around to reinstall vanilla 10.04 server on these boxes...thankfully they don't connect to the Internet :)

Tushar_H_
Level 2
Employee

Yes, you are right BE 2012 does not support Ubuntu 12.04. RALUS has no dependencies other than libstdc++5. You can try re-installing 10.04 Server, please check if it works without updating Server upto date.