cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010R3 and Quantum Superloader3

RodRocket
Level 2

A customer has a fully patched (6 Jan 2012) Backup Exec 2010R3 connected by Fibre to a Quantum Superloader3 Tape Library with up-to-date firmware on the autoloader and drive mechanism. The drive is using DLT-S4 Tapes with Barcoded labels.

Three things are happening to 'NOT Make My Day'.

I would appreciate comments/feedback or solutions on these:

1) I label my tapes with a description, and add them to the media sets.  The description frequently disappears (sometimes after several days), and never returns - even after a successful inventory.

2) After a backup has completed I am unable to eject the tape from Superloader Webpage or Frontpanel.  I get a message saying the software has locked the tape and wont allow me to eject it.  I am happily able to move tapes from anywhere to anywhere - just not to the Mailslot!

3) Frequently, trying to initiate a tape inventory results in the Quantum Loader going 'Offline'.

Restarting the autoloader from the panel button is the only way to regain control of the loader. Backup Exec then happily talks to the Superloader3 again.

This is a good backup scenario, and I like the software and hardware - I just want to resolve these issues.

Any contributions would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards

Rod Rocket

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

2) BE locks the library before it uses it.  You got to right-click on the library in the Media tab and select Unlock.

3) Go to the Windows Device manager and make sure that your library is listed as an Unknown Medium Changer with a Microsoft driver.  If it has a Quantum driver, change it using the procedures below

How to uninstall the Original Equipment Manufacturer driver for the medium changer in a robotic libr...

How to uninstall the Original Equipment Manufacturer driver for the medium changer in a robotic libr...

RodRocket
Level 2

Thanks PKH.

2) I figured locking was the problem - but just didn't click the right place in BE.  I can NOW eject Tapes!
Much appreciated.

1)  Anyone got an idea why my tape DESCRIPTIONS disappear?  - perhaps he solution to this is the same as for 3)

3) Quantum Superloader3 Library goes offline with BE 2010R3.

I followed the instructions for uninstalling OEM driver on Windows 2008 Server as you kindly showed:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH67639

but when I looked for the "unknown Media Changer" driver all I was offered was the Quantum DLT-S4 (the OEM) when the tick was in the "Show Compatible Hardware" box.

If I remove the tick I get drivers for many other manufacturers, but don't see an 'unknown media changer" option anywhere.

I should say that the driver comes back online if I RESTART all the BE Services - but this is hardly good news for the customer.

I would appreciate any further assistance. My OS is Windows 2008 Standard.

Regards

Rod